24|| The Second Robin

Chicago was a city made up of glass and steel. It was the kind of city you could get so easily lost in. It was bright and lively, a drastic change from the nowhere's vill they had come from.

Yet, she couldn't shake the feeling in her chest that somehow she was failing by coming here.

She had spent a year on her own. No Wayne tech or piles of money to catch her if she fell. She didn't think she'd have to rely on him ever again, but here she was.

"This the place?" Kori asked, yanking Sophie out of her own head. She blinked away her haze and parked the car alongside the sidewalk. A skyscraper loomed over them, glittering like the windows were made of diamonds. 

"Yeah," she pulled the keys from the cars ignition, "Batman owns the whole building. The top floor's the safe house and the rest is office space." She explained and got out of the car. 

She walked around the greenish van to the curb as the others got out as well.

"Wait." Gar jogged up to her with that bright, excited look in his brown eyes. "Batman really bought an entire building just to build a safe house?"

"Yup." Sophie nodded. After all of these years she somehow managed to forget how cool and exciting Batman could be to the average on looker. 

She could hear Gar and Rachel bantering as she pulled open the tinted glass doors to the building. Kori was right behind her, her heels echoing off of the polished floors.  

The lobby was modern, white tile walls, marble floors, a single wooden desk that was left un-maned. The building looked empty and un-watched, but Sophie was quick to notice the handful of camera's that were hidden among the room.

"This is it?" Kori walked over to the elevator and leaned against the polished wall. She seemed rather unimpressed by it all.

Sophie smirked as she walked over to the elevators. She clicked a small button on the top of elevator call panel. The top portion of the silver panel flipped backwards, exposing a high tech retina and thumb print scanner. 

"Oh sweet." Gar beamed, stepping closer to get a better look. Kori began to say something but Gar was already rambling about how this reminded him of some movie.

Sophie tuned out the excited kid and pressed her thumb to the navy blue pad. As her thumb was being scanned a green laser shot out of the circular retina scanner. She leaned closer and let the device scan her eyes.

After a few seconds there was a small ding and the elevator doors swung open. Kory pushed off of the wall and casted a glance over at Sophie. She almost had an impressed look in her greenish eyes.

****

The elevator dinged and the sliver doors parted. Light from the large wall of windows seeped into the small hallway where the elevator sat. Gar, Rachel, and Kori all stepped out, ready to explore the new surroundings. Sophie followed slowly behind them.

"Guys, hey." Dick's startled voice caught Sophie's attention. She quickly noticed Dick standing by the table, another guy stood across from him. The dark messy brown hair and that green bomber jacket were all Sophie needed to figure out who it was.

"Jay?" She stepped in front of the others, a smile on her lips. Jason's head snapped over and his blue eyes quickly landed on her.

"Holy shit." He smirked and walked over to her. Sophie quickly hugged him. She wouldn't tell a soul, but she really had missed him. Jason pulled back from the hug and opened his mouth to say something. 

"You know him?" Dick furrowed his brow as annoyance filled his eyes. It took Sophie a second to remember that he had never met Jason before, he didn't know Bruce had found another Robin. 

"Who is he?" Kori asked as she walked over to Dick.

"That's not important." Dick quickly said. 

Jason looked between the small group. "Who are your friends?" He asked and looked to Sophie for the answer.

Sophie opened her mouth to answer the question but she was quickly interrupted by Dick. "That's also not important." He said sternly.

Sophie rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest. Something about the way he was trying to keep everyone in the dark brought her back to the days when she was the only Titan left out of their meetings.

Kori huffed and turned her attention to Dick. "Where's Adamson?"

"Adamson's in the bathroom, unconscious." He answered. The only straight answer he was willing to give. 

Rachel slipped past Gar and walked quickly over to Jason. "Hi, I'm Rachel."

"Jason." He smirked back at her.

"Okay," Dick pipped up again, "Who we all are doesn't matter right now. Can we all just chill out and relax. Sit down, watch some tv or something." He said and motioned to the large grey sofa.

"Yo," Gar piped up, catching everyone's attention, "where'd you get another one?" He stood at the end of the table, marveling at the sight of two identical black Robin cases. 

"That one's mine." Jason spoke before Dick had the chance to shut the conversation down. 

Gar's eyes snapped upwards and his lips parted. "Yours? Wait, you're Robin too?"

"I thought you were Robin?" Rachel turned to Dick with an almost teasing look in her eyes.

"I am." He huffed.

"He was." Jason spoke over him. Dick shot a glare over his shoulder at Jason before sighing heavily. 

"Okay, how many Robin's are there? Are there a lot-" Gar began to ramble, only making Jason's smirk bigger. Dick however looked like he was five seconds away from blowing a fuse.

"Gar." Sophie cut him off mid sentence. He looked up at her with his mouth wide open. "Give it a rest." He quickly closed his mouth and gave her a sheepish smile.

Kori smiled over at Sophie before looking back at Dick. "Why don't the three of us talk." She said, motioning her head towards Sophie.

Dick nodded and looked over at her. "Bathroom?" 

Sophie forced a smile and shook her head. "Catch me up later. I'll watch them" She nodded her head towards Rachel and Gar.

Dick nodded but there was something in his eyes that told her he knew she was lying. Sophie felt her heart tighten as the two left down the hall. She knew something was grinding on his nerves but for once Sophie had her own interests in mind, and those were Jason.