40|| Bloodshed

Sophie slammed into the kitchen wall and a deep, aching pain soared through her body. Her knees buckled and she crashed down to the old hardwood floors.

She sucked in a shallow breath before another wave of pain erupted through her. It was a swelling pain that only got worse with every breath. It made her want to scream but she couldn't. She needed to stay focused.

Her green eyes shot upwards. Barbara and Jason stood in the doorway of the kitchen. Their eyes were completely black. They blended seamlessly into Barbara's dark cowl and Jason's domino mask.

Just between their shoulders she could see the others as they beat Gar. Dick held Rachel back as she screamed for them to leave him alone. It was merciless, brutal; and she couldn't stop it.

A flash of red and black quickly caught her attention. Jason ran towards her, fully intent on killing her.

Sophie's eyes widened and she swung out her leg. Her foot caught his and he collided into the hard floor. She sprung to her feet just in time to see Barbara throw a batarang towards her.

She dodged it and a thunk came from the batarang as it buried itself in the wall. She barely had a second to right herself before a force slammed into her knee.

She yelped in pain as her knees buckled. The second she hit the ground Jason got behind her and wrapped an arm around her throat.

He held her tight, pressing his forearm directly against her windpipe. A small squeak left her lips as her lungs fought to fill with oxygen.

Barbara's boots crunched the rubble covered ground as she stalked towards her. Her eyes were dead. The girl Sophie knew was gone. She couldn't bargain her way out of this and she knew it.

Babs slammed her foot into Sophie's stomach. She jerked forwards as the last bit of air in her lungs was stolen from her.

She coughed violently. A raw burning pain clawed up her throat, bringing tears to her eyes. Jason's grip on her throat tightened and a cold reality set in.

She wasn't going to survive if she didn't start fighting back.

Her heart ached at the thought but she didn't have much of a choice. She swung her fist back. Her auroral dagger sliced through the armor on Jason's thigh.

His grip on her neck loosened and cool air rushed into her burning lungs.

Sophie slammed her foot into Barbara's knee. She stumbled backwards, giving Sophie some room.

She grabbed Jason by the arm wrapped around her throat and rolled forwards. They both hit the floor but his grip on her was broken.

She shot to her feet and cautiously backed away from the two. She closed her hands into fist. Bright greenish light flared between her fingers before two long daggers formed in her hands.

Jason rose to his feet. Out of the two, he was the lesser threat. She knew his weak points, she knew how he fought. Barbara on the other hand was a different story. She didn't know the other girls movements the way she knew Jason or Dick's. And that only made Barbara more dangerous.

Sophie clenched her jaw and threw her daggers. Jason rolled to the left and Barbara flipped over the one aimed at her. The second she landed she ran at Sophie.

Barbara spun into a kick and Sophie jumped backwards, dodging the heel of her boot by inches. She threw another kick towards Sophie's chest. She grabbed Barbara's ankle seconds before it impacted with her ribs.

She pulled her closer before she slammed her fist into Barbara's face. Her head snapped backwards and blood splattered her cowl. Sophie quickly knocked out her other leg and let her fall to the floor.