38|| The House On The Hill

Sophie stared down at her cell phone, her screen was filled with unanswered texts. Shortly after she ended her call with Hank she began texting Dick and Rachel. But none of her texts went through. It was becoming unsettling.

"Hey," Babs perked up and smacked Sophie's arm, "they're here."

Sophie jolted upright and quickly turned her attention to the rear view mirror. Dawn and Hank's truck was pulling up just behind them. The truck's headlights casted an orange glow into the cab of the porsche.

"About time." She muttered and got out of the Porsche. It felt like they had been sitting there for hours but she knew it had merely been minutes.

The old truck pulled to a stop before Dawn and Hank got out. Dawn looked better, a little frail, but frail was better than dead. Hank on the other hand looked exhausted, he had dark bags under his eyes and it was clear he hadn't shaved in a week.

Sophie came to a stop in front of Dawn, the ghost of a smile on her lips. "I'm so glad you're better."

"Me too." Dawn smiled sweetly before her attention drifted over to Barbara. "It's nice to see you again, Barbara."

"You too." She smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"So who's this Jason kid?" Hank asked with that familiar growl to his voice.

"Right." Sophie nodded before glancing back at the manor. "I guess you guys never got the chance to meet the new Robin."

"Hold on, there's a new robin?" Hank's jaw dropped.

Dawn's brow furrowed as confusion filled her eyes. "When did that happen?"

"It's hard to explain." Sophie said as she turned and started walking towards the manor's large doors. Barbara fell into step beside her with Hank and Dawn just behind them.

"How could Bruce replace Dick?" Dawn spoke again as they got into the manor.

Barbara glanced over at the other two. "Shortly after Dick left Bruce crossed paths with Jason, it was mutually beneficial for Jason to become the next Robin. But It's not like Bruce went searching for another Rob-"

She was cut off by the loud roar of a motorcycles engine revving. The sound echoed down the hallway, clearly coming from the grand staircase in the sitting room. Rock music played loudly, almost drowning out the sound of the engine.

"Is that a motorcycle?" Barbara looked over at Sophie, expecting her to deny what they all knew.

Sophie sighed and walked a little quicker. The closer she got to the archway into the sitting room, the louder the sounds got.

Suddenly the bike roared. The tires screeched against the polished wood floors before they all heard the sound of someone falling down stairs.

"He did not." Barbara's eyes widened and she ran towards the sound. Sophie jogged after her, coming to a quick stop when she spotted Jason laying at the bottom of the stairs. He was clad in riding gear, and the poor black sports bike was lying awkwardly at the top of the stairs.

Sophie couldn't fight the smile that tugged at her lips. She honestly wasn't surprised by the way Jason spent his time alone. "If that's my bike i'm gonna kill you."

Jason's head shot up and his eyes widened at the sight of everyone. "I think that's Dick's old ones." He took off his helmet and jogged up the stairs to them. "Who are those two?" he nodded his head towards Hank and Dawn.

"I'm Dawn Granger, that's Hank Hall." She motioned to herself and Hank. "We're here to help, Rachel sent us to find you."

Jason's brow furrowed. His eyes darted over to Sophie and Babs, looking for some kind of confirmation. "Why me?"