☼ Chapter XIV ☼

picture; Carson Reux

song; "Crave" by Tove Lo

author's note; I am a disgrace. I know. It took me so long to update and this part was actually already written and just needed to be edited and I procrastinated so hard. But here we have the second part of Sonya and Derik's date. 

I am really starting to love the development of their relationship. What do you guys think of Derik? What do you think of him and Sonya together? 

Really excited for the next chapter because we get some more information and a bit of a reveal about what happened at the farsa. Hopefully I stay motivated and I can write it up tonight!

Comment + Vote, enjoy! 

_____________________________________________

Compelled to stay to let him comfort me, I turned my gaze away because I knew that I couldn't keep up with the excuses if I looked him in the eye. I had a lot to consider about what happened tonight, and it would influence whether or not I would see Derik again.

I hated the idea that my Mate could be in a dangerous position if he were with me; I was beginning to want to be with Derik more than I had wanted anything in years, but I also wanted him alive. Darkness could target him because he was important to me, and I didn't want to let that happen.

"Baby..." Was it stupid that I was growing to be very susceptible to that played-out pet name? Tears filled my eyes and I shook my head, still refusing to stay with him a little longer—still refusing to even look at him. "I can't just let you leave upset, Sonya. Please come with me?"

"I don't want to." I snapped at him as I wiped frustratedly at a few runaway tears. "I want to go back to my dorm and go to bed. Tonight was the worst date I've ever been on." The anger that flashed across Derik's face startled me and I leaned away a bit more, realizing I'd really done it now.

This only seemed to make him that much more furious.

"Can you do me a favour and stop being such a fucking brat? Since you don't want to listen to me when I'm trying to be nice, I'm not asking anymore. You're bringing your cute little ass to my place whether you like it or not."

The seriousness in his tone snapped me out of my incessant worrying and commanded me to meet his gaze. His gaze instantly softened once I connected my eyes to his. "Shit, I didn't mean to yell but you can be pretty annoying."

"I mean, I obviously wasn't listening." I sighed and turned my eyes up to the stark-white stars that dazzled against the night sky. "I'll stay, but I don't want to talk about what we saw at the club. Just get me to where I can sleep tonight."

"Oh, that'll be easy." The laid-back smile graced his lips again and I overflowed with relief. It was strange—sexy and foreign, but strange nonetheless—seeing Derik mad since he was so easy-going. I seemed to annoy him pretty often, but his default setting was playful and laid-back.

"I've got the perfect medicine." His knack for being cryptic was something that I was just getting used to and so I didn't ask what it was when he re-opened the car door for me and helped me inside.

A good amount of my fear had melted away since we'd made it back to the Academy because I once again felt safe, but the worry I felt about what allies of Darkness might be planning for me didn't cease.

I wondered what that redhead girl meant when she said they were there for me. Was she saying that I was supposed to be the one with her throat ripped out tonight? Chills skimmed over my body at the thought, and I gritted my teeth as to disguise the shudders that passed through me.