Prologue

ELIZABETH

"Daddy? Daddy? Daddy?!" I say trying to get my dads attention on me.

"What is it my little catfish?" He says than proceeds to tickle me without letting me answer his question.

"Hahaha...wat are we 'aving fer supper tanight?" I ask when I've finally calmed down.

"We're having some fish tonight. How does that sound?" I frown.

"But I dwon't wike fish. It too ucky! I want steak! Pwease daddy can we have steak tanight?!"

"How about we make a deal huh catfish?"

"Otay!" I say excitedly not knowing what a deal was.

"I'll let you have whatever type of red juice you want but you have to eat the fish for supper." I crease my brows and close one of my eyes. When I think I tend to really show it.

"Dweal?" I say holding out my hand for a handshake.

"Deal" He laughs at me the ruffles my long dark brown hair instead of shaking my hand.

Later that night we were seated at the table eating the ucky fish and drinking what daddy calls special red juice. I once asked why daddy says its special and he said because we were special. When he said that it made me have a toothy grin in return.

*KNOCK*KNOCK*KNOCK*

I rush to the door ignoring my daddy's voice telling me to stop. I open the door to find a man that I've never seen before.

"Who are you?" I say shyly partially hiding behind the door.

"Well hello little one. I'm a friend of your father's can I come in?" As I stare at the man, I get a bad feeling so I shake my head and shut the door.

"Catfish, what did I say to do when someone knocks on the door?" He tells me sternly.

"To go hide until you say oderwise?" I ask, not sure if I'm right.

"Exactly, now go on upstairs and I'll give you some ice-cream later." I smile and run upstairs but stay at the top of the stairs so I can hear what they talk about. I guess you could say I was a curious catfish.

Daddy opens the door to see the scary man, but does not welcome him in.

"King Dorian what a pleasant surprise." The bad man smiles at my Daddy in return.

"Isn't it always? Now Abraham, may I come in? I have some urgent business I would like to discuss with you." Says the man looking inside the house as if searching for something.

"I'm afraid you're interrupting my dinner and I'm not going to allow you into my home. So if that is what you're really after, please leave the premises." The bad man laughs at my Daddy.

"Oh Abraham, you were always good for a laugh! You see I don't need you to let me in because I now own this house and everything in it." The bad man walks in and grips my Daddy by his shirt collar.

I start to feel scared, so I start to hum. Daddy always says that whenever I feel scared, sad, or even alone I should sing.

"Where is she!" Shouts the bad man at my Daddy. I start to hum louder and the bad man lets go of Daddy. I smile and get so excited I stop humming.

"You'll never have her! She is MY daughter! If you so much as touch one hair on her head I'll..." The bad man looks confused as to why he let go of my Daddy then attacks my Daddy.

I run upstairs away from them and lock myself in the closet. I rock myself back and forth on the floor and sing what my mommy sings to me at night in my dreams. Atleast I assume it's my mommy.

"I can see, what you desire from me! Come to me that you shall see all that I see! The Sea is where you shall come to me! My eyes can see what the heart sees! For only the pure will not drown with me, but live with me in perfect harmony!" I sing from my heart, even though I don't understand it.

I stop singing and no longer hear any more fighting downstairs, so I climb out of my closet and see the scary man in front of me. I squeal and back away but he doesn't move.

"Go away!" I scream at him. He then walks out of the room and shuts the door behind him as if sleepwalking like daddy does sometimes.

After a while of crying in the corner, I start to get hungry and go downstairs to find Daddy. I find him on the floor, in the corner covered in what looks and smells of our special juice. I walk up to see him with a piece of wood stuck in his chest.

"DADDY! Daddy wake up! I nweed you! Pwease I want Icecrweam! You pwomised!" I scream, shaking his lifeless body.

"Elizabeth!" I turn around to see...

"Elizabeth, wake up!" I sit up in bed panting and sweating like a dog after a long run.

"Thanks for waking me up." I say to my friend Kristal.

"No problem, but you should really see a therapist or someone about those nasty nightmares." She says shaking her head at me.

"I would if I could! We both know though, that it would not be possible for me to do such as thing." I say referencing my race.

"What a Mer-pire or Vamp-maid? What do like to be called again?"

"A mistake of nature." I say sarcastically and flop my head back into the soft feathery pillows.

"Oh, don't be so dramatic! I'm a were-witch and even I don't complain this much."

"Yeah, but who's technically illegal to even be alive?" She looks at me as if I'm dumb for asking that.

"It's both of us. Now get up, get dressed, and go make breakfast because mama wolf is hungry!" I flop a pillow over my head trying to ignore her and get some decent sleep.

"You're always hungry." I grumble into the pillow.

"I'm sorry, i didn't quite catch that. Did you say, of course I would make anything for my bestest friend in the whole wide world? Cause that is what I heard." I hear her walk out of my room.

"We both have super hearing, bitch." I mumble getting out of bed stumbling my way to the bathroom.

"I heard that!" She yells from down the hall.

"I know!" I yell back, smirking. This is going to be one hell of a day.