(25) Ex-wife

DisclaimerPlease be very careful with what comments you leave on my stories

Disclaimer
Please be very careful with what comments you leave on my stories. If it's any way hurtful or offensive to me or any of my readers, I won't hesitate to block you. I work hard writing my stories and I refuse to let 'Karens' lambaste my hard work. Be negative somewhere else.

Chassie George

The little celebration for when I got my cast off is not what I had in mind. Ethan and his daddy are taking me to one of the finest restaurants in town. As much as I despise the idea, I plastered a joyful smile when they told me they're taking me to Sydney's restaurant.

I'm going to see the Sydney Williams. As if a distant thought of her is not a pill hard enough for swallowing. My expectations are a lot less awkward than when we got to said restaurant. From the way she happily stooped down to give Ethan a kiss, to the way my son responded with far more enthusiasm than I expected, I could tell the celebration is going to be a torture.

Sydney's acknowledgement to me wasn't exactly cold. We managed a subtle 'hi' and 'hello.' It wasn't the semi-cold shoulder that shivs at my gut though. It was Nathan knowing his way around like he's been a constant customer. It doesn't matter that we are on the table next to the muted city view.

And then to add some salt to my wounds, Sydney called him over to the bar to talk "briefly" about the location of properties she was planning to branch out. I know because Nathan had the politeness to at least disclose that detail to me.

I glowered at my salad. I managed at least two bites. Looking over to Ethan beside me, my hand goes the back of his head and idly stroke his hair.

He looks up with a smile. "Mommy, can you hand me the brown one?"

I slipped the crayon out of its case and put it in his hand.

"Thanks, mommy." He grins, then turns back to his coloring book splayed on the table. He dipped his head, tongue sticking out as he focused coloring a barn.

I threw a stealthy glance to the bar where Nathan is still talking to Sydney. My hands gripped the napkin.

Sydney Williams stands next to him like a slender glass of water – refreshing to the eyes. Her body is toned and I can't see a single sagging flesh. Her legs were in bold display with a slit going up to her thighs. The woman surely has the summer-bod. Her long, straight hair is framing her face in that respectable businesswoman kind of way.

I have to hand it to her; she's gone successful where I failed. She's gone fitter where I thickened.

There's also the smile she's urging out of Nathan. Every laugh, every lingering eye contact. I couldn't help but begrudge her of that.

I must be losing my mind.

"Mommy?"

I struggled to shift my eyes back to Ethan. "Yes, baby?"