(45) Ex-wife

Chassie George

Chassie George

"Mommy, I wanna go with you." Ethan's arms went around me, his face burrowed on my stomach.

I tousled his hair, bringing him to my arms. "I thought you'd want to spend more time with your grandparents and your Aunt Kathie. And you said you were making more birdhouses with your daddy."

"But I want to be with you," he whimpers, finding the crook of my neck to bury his head on. He then looks at me, looping his fingers over my nape. His bottom lip quivered, and his eyes brimmed with tears. He sobs.

"Baby," I sat on the edge of my bed with him straddling my lap, "mommy will be back really soon. You won't even know I was gone."

"But you won't have me. You won't have daddy. You'll be alone. Who will kiss you goodnight?" His blue eyes widened, his tears falling down his cheeks.

I wipe them gently with my fingers. "You will kiss me goodnight when I call."

"I don't want you all alone. You'll be so sad."

"If I talk to you every night, I will never be sad."

He shakes his head, sobbing. "I don't want to miss you really bad. Please, let me go with you."

"I know, baby. But I need you here."

Ethan straightens. "I need to be here?"

"Yes." I reached for the Kleenex on my nightstand that had kept me company in the past few nights. I dab his face dry. "I need you to keep women away from your daddy."

"Of course. I don't want another mommy." He frowned at the thought. "I only love you."

I smiled. "I love you too."

"Can I get a baby brother in return?" His voice raised to another octave.

I shrug. "Sure. As many as you want."

"Really?" His whole face lit up.

"Yes."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

His lips stretched into a toothy grin. "You'll be back soon, right? Like, maybe, on Saturday?"

"I don't know about that." I chuckled. "But I promise I'll be back. Mommy had to do some stuff and then we'll be together again."

"Can I call you anytime?"

I peck on his forehead. "Anytime."

"Okay. I love you, mommy." He rested his cheek on my chest, arms around me.

"I love you too, baby." I hugged him back. As tightly as I could. "You want some cookies?"

He looks up. "Yes, please."