(40) Ex-husband

Nathan has taken two wonderful days off to fully recover from the godawful flu

Nathan has taken two wonderful days off to fully recover from the godawful flu. He had been resting and babysitting – two wonderful reasons to be at the Lewis' far more than necessary.

He's given into several dessert requests from Ethan, worn himself out a couple of times when his son goes in a sugar-induced frenzy, sat through several sappy movies whose level of cheesiness level could last him a lifetime and, so far, "zero" alone time with Chassie.

Not that it was his only agenda. He was there to spend time with Ethan and the Lewises. It was more like an ulterior motive and he had no one to deny it to. He had been trying to talk to her.

A muffled cry ripples through his serene thoughts. He turns to his right. Kathie had been sniveling for the most part of Titanic. Ethan had been sleepy on his lap. Nathan picks up the box of Kleenex and handed it over to her.

She smiles and murmurs a watery 'thank you.' She dabs her eyes dry then passed the box to her mother having a silent cry of her own. David Lewis stared blankly on the screen next to his weeping wife. They've been both trapped on the couches for over an hour. It would've been fine, if only Chassie George was there. He hadn't seen her after lunch.

As though appearing from his thoughts, she tiptoed into the living room quietly like shadow. She padded behind the couches and leaned over to her father's ear. The latter shook his head as if an answer to her. Chassie turns to her mother, her mouth to her ear.

Elizabeth Lewis' absently touches her daughter's cheek with her eyes still on the television and murmured something to her that wasn't audible enough. Chassie pursed her lips before sliding to Kathie, her elbows propped on the headrest. She whispered something to her. Kathie adjusted her head slightly, pressing a kiss on her sister's cheek before shaking her head.

Chassie shifted toward his ear. "Hey, Jack," she whispers.

He stilled when he felt the slightest touch of her lips to the shell of his ear. "What's up, Rose?" He whispered back.

"Have you seen my Kisses? I know I left a bag of Hershey's Kisses around here from last night." Her warm breath fans his cheek. Her perfume wafted to his nose like an enchantment.

"No, sorry," he murmurs distractedly.

Ethan craned his neck to look up. "Mommy, are you going to watch with us?"

"No, sorry, baby. Mommy had to do some work stuff. Maybe later." She leans further and pecked at the top of his head, which brought her face even nearer to his since Ethan was on his lap.

Her cheek brushed up against his when she pulled back.

Nathan sat there, tortured of the innocent touches. He was snapped out of it when Chassie lets out a delighted squealed, which earned her two shushes – one from her mother, and another from her older sister. Her father was holding her Hershey's Kisses that he just pulled out from the throw pillows behind him.