(8) Ex-husband

Nathan wedged his way into a roomful of people, phone glued to his ear

Nathan wedged his way into a roomful of people, phone glued to his ear. He has left his office, all right. But the job hadn't physically left him. He pushes his way to the Lewis' expansive garden. Chassie's welcome party was on full swing. Had the event didn't go on short notice he would've avoided the tardiness. His cousins would've offered to take his place at the meeting. Except they had their hands full too.

Walsh had to flew over a private beach to check out a ransacked hotel – see if they can recover the hell out of it, and eventually profit. Colin had to go overseas for a week-long business trip. Spencer is seeing a thirty-million-dollar flat a few towns over. And Reese, although not entirely "business," is probably in one of his yachts with one of his women.

"Nathan." Kathie waves him over, chatting with her two closest friends Jessica Keith, a fun-loving wedding photographer and Audrey Danler, a rigid Editor in chief. The latter was just turning to leave, her petite assistant following close behind.

His son was with Chassie's mother, doing great with the ladies.

"Put that phone down," she prompted, walking over to him with her indefinite smile. The permanence of her smiles doesn't make them less bright each time, mind you. Somehow, they're always brighter than the last one. Kathie Jane Lewis draws people in effortlessly.

Nathan gestures he has to finish the call with a contractor and her lips pursed. Dropping the call from the other line, he finally turns to her with an exhausted sigh. "What's up? Am I late?"

She gave him an eye-roll. "You know you are. Dad's been looking for you."

"Sorry. I got held up." He scans the garden and spotted David Lewis nodding robotically at one of his business associates.

Kathie's eyes followed his. "You better save him. He looks like he's going to run."

"On my way, Kathie Jane. On my way." He chuckles, crossing the garden. He gives a little wave to Ethan who called to him, blue eyes wide with pride for having joined a grownup party. He continues his way to Chassie's dad with intentions to spare him from boredom first then look for his youngest daughter.

Nathan's gaze idly surveyed the happily chatting guests, then caught a glimpse of Chassie. He did a double take, stopping in his tracks altogether. The order of his intentions conflicted.

Chassie is not fond of parties. He had years to know that. It was refreshing to see her talking and laughing with one of her high school teachers comfortably. However, the surprise didn't stop there.

Chassie George Lewis had chopped quite a lot more than an inch of her hair that it had grown out. Not that he's one to keep tabs on women's hairstyles. It's just that they were curly on the tips – exactly how she would've worn her hair four years ago or so.

In a much sentimental way to put it, she was Chassie from years ago, but not quite all the way her. Because Chassie from all those years ago wouldn't be caught dead stirring a conversation with more than five family friends, let alone in the middle of a party. Somehow, Nathan stood between the years ago and years to come.

Nathan had watched her grow – waited, he might add. His earnest attendance in the Lewis' mansion earned him both parents' favor. But a permission to be more than just a best friend to one of their precious daughters took more than a perfect attendance.

And whatever it had cost him, it was all worth it.

Smiling to himself, he decided to leave his intentions as it is – David Lewis first, and then his daughter.

He swerved to the opposite direction, David smiling – genuinely this time – when he caught his eyes. Who molded most of Chassie's physical entirety is not a puzzle difficult to piece together. It was palpable every time he sees David Lewis.

"Nathan, I was hoping you'd make it. You wanna grab a drink?" David is not particularly unfriendly. He's just not chatty enough to hold a conversation for an entire night.

He nods, knowing it was David's ticket out of his business partner and his wife. They excused themselves, heading over to the bar. Nathan spotted two familiar faces. His closest friends that miraculously don't have women on their sides.

Christian Parkinson grinned when he sees them approaching. He pokes his older brother's arm who turned and gave the almost identical grin. Vren Parkinson greeted David Lewis with a gesture of his glass. The latter responded with a chuckle. His best pals had wedged their way into David's favor. They had been his loyal interns.

Moments later, they were nursing each other's glasses and Nathan couldn't help but look over to Chassie. Elizabeth has just called David to meet some of their friends who are visiting town, so he was left with Christian and Vren.

"Damn. She hasn't changed a bit," Christian murmurs.

"And if there any changes, they're just the good kind," Vren added.

Nathan shot them both a warning look when he sees their gazes followed Chassie. "Hey, eyes off, both of you."

Vren chuckles, patting his shoulder. "She's still the same Chassie."

"And still off-limits. Not that she's my type in the first place." Christian jabs an elbow at his rib.

Nathan only raises a brow in response.

Check out the other books in the series. :)

 :)