XV - Ellipsism

n. a sadness that you'll never be able to know how history will turn out.

* * *

"Blanco-moreno," I heard Julian remarks with a sigh.

I look at him for a second, finding him standing just behind me along with the rest of the seven muskeeters.

Like the rest, Julian has his arms crossed across his chest, eyes focused onto where General Emilio Aguinaldo sits opposite to the Spaniard sent by Governor-General Fernando Primo de Rivera, his nephew and aide-de-camp Lt. Col. Miguel Primo de Rivera, with a lot other generals of Aguinaldo gathered close to them as they discuss matters for some peace treaty. After all the insurgencies and deaths to be sacrificed, they are negotiating.

I sigh heavily. Perhaps it had been better if they've negotiated first, then fight if it doesn't work. How true Dr. Rizal's words that the only way this will be quenched is through the power of the pen.

"Hmm? Blanco-moreno din naman karamihan sa mga Pilipino, ha? Dahil sa kanila," Colonel Enriquez says, standing next to me. He didn't even inclined his head to look back at Julian, keeping his eyes on the same direction as the others, and even striking the same pose of having his arms crossed across his chest. "Anong kamangha-mangha? Anong kakaiba?"

"Yung ilong," Juan laughs a little. "Masyadong matuwid. Matangos."

"At medyo malapit sa maputi ang kutis niya," Gabriel adds.

"Parang Blanco-moreno-blanco," agrees Felix.

Lesyo shakes his head. "Hindi. Blanco-blanco-moreno."

"Matangkad din kasi," Totoy interjects, crackling a dry chuckle. He slaps a hand onto Colonel Enriquez's shoulder. "M-Ma..." He bites his tongue to keep himself from laughing much louder. "Matangkad nga kasi."

Colonel Enriquez frowns and closes his eyes. He removes Totoy's hand by his shoulder and answers, "Blanco-blanco-moreno na matangkad."

Isidro leans his lips close to my ear and whispers, "Kung ako sa iyo, lalayo na ako kay Enteng. Baka mamaya ay isang nag-aalburotong bulkan iyan kapag nagalit."

I turn slightly to him with a small smile. "Mukha nga."

He straightens up after a light chuckle and I return back to where the two leaders are.

However, my eyes shift away a second from them, meeting then Goyo's eyes who've been standing just two feet away from where Aguinaldo is seated. And somehow, he doesn't look amuse.

# # #

I didn't understand much of the treaty that happened, and the things that abide it. Good thing that I can go check it back home once my presence here is no longer needed. I can even look it up once then what originally happened, when I've been too busy listening to the side comments of the seven musketeers of Pitpitan regarding on how Lieutenant Colonel Miguel Primo de Rivera looks. (And how they seem to tease Colonel Enriquez in his difference of height if he'll be standing next to the Lieutenant Colonel.)

After the treaty, a signing and shaking of hands, the rest of the soldiers scatter. We leave the site of the signing, in Pablo Tecson's house, and once outside, decided to wait for Goyo. The latter, along with the rest of the leaders closest to Aguinaldo had been gathered for some immediate meeting. Whatever they are talking about is one that is off-limits from us who weren't even of interest for the General.

"Ibig ba sabihin talaga nito ay wala ng digmaan?" I ask Isidro personally. The others had been talking about how the pact will affect them all starting now that it is in effect.