12: Like Mourners At A Funeral

"Dammit." Sam muttered as he lifted his head to do something other than kiss me for the first time in longer than either of us wanted to admit. His hair was made even messier by the way my fingertips occasionally played with it.

There came the doorbell's chime yet again, echoing into the house as though the clock struck midnight. It seemed that our Cinderella illusion of peace was quickly falling away, replaced with a sudden pressing dread.

Sam frowned over the couch, as though his scowl would be enough for the entire world to disappear. No matter how hard he tried, it wasn't going to happen. We were still stuck in the same awful situation.

As the doorbell was pressed for the third time, he finally got up and straightened his shirt. I sat up, pulling out my phone to try to appear nonchalant and like I wasn't just laying with Sam for the past few hours. Talking, kissing, and sometimes just sitting in serene silence. Regardless of how crazy it was, I was already missing it.

My whole world was changing way too quick for me to keep up with it.

I could hear the door open and a few very familiar voices exchange some light conversation. Meanwhile I opened up Instagram to scroll through my recent feed. The first thing I saw was that someone tagged me in a photo. By someone, I meant my one and only friend.

Once I pressed the notification, it took me to a post Millie made. It was a photo of the both of us on Friday, only minutes before everything changed. She was posing for the camera, while I was glancing up just in time to look startled by the sudden picture. I didn't take pictures of myself. But I didn't need to, since Millie had an infinite supply of pictures of us together. Even a few of just me.

It was weird that she even bothered tagging me in it, since I never posted anything on my account before. What was there in my life to even post? I was definitely way too boring to even try.

"Hey, Sawyer!" The sudden disembodied voice leaning over the couch caused me to jump out of my skin. I turned to find that it was Caden smiling at me innocently.

"Um, hi." I replied, clearing my throat to try to hide the fact that he scared the shit out of me.

"That's you and Millie at Jack of Clubs." He pointed to my phone. "You guys look very happy."

I sighed, because it only made me feel worse about not being with my best friend. One week wasn't a long time, but it sure felt like it when we usually spent almost everyday together. Watching movies, getting food, talking about the things that bothered us, or just basking in each other's company. I was pretty sure that I was starting to go through withdrawals from my normal life.

"Yeah." I mumbled, turning my phone off so that I didn't have to look at the post any longer.

At the same time, I caught Dennis and Sam's conversation. "Why do you look so upset?"

"I'm not." Sam countered, but his scowl did not wither.

"You clearly are."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

As amusing as it was that he was obviously upset that our romantic session was forced to come to an end, I was more focused on the fact that we had to leave soon. Which meant that our brief window of safety was about to be smashed in. Uncertainty was our biggest enemy.

"I guess we need to get going if we want to get there first." Sam's frown remained, but the cause shifted to the true nightmare in all of our lives.

I shuddered. "Do I really have to go? Can't I just stay here?"

"They've broken in before." He shook his head, and I could tell there was more he wanted to say. "I'd rather just keep everyone involved within my line of sight."