27: Reminded Of The Nostalgic Feeling

"You'll find out when we get there." Sam scolded me. He was in a surprisingly good mood for the first time in a week. It was like he was slowly coming back to me, and I took that gratefully.

After the breakdown in his bathroom, he was a bit distant. Quiet and reserved, as though learning how to cope with everything for the first time. Because originally Sam only kept functioning via the veil of false hope obstructing his vision. Now he was finding new ways to adapt — new sources of motivation and determination. And fuck, I was mesmerized by him all over again. How could one person hold so much courage? No matter how many times he got knocked down?

When he asked me to go on a proper date with him, I knew that he really was back to being my Sam. Of course, I blushed like an idiot and wondered what the hell I did to deserve his attention. I also had to question whether or not it was a good idea for us to be seen in public one on one. Especially in the context of a date, because Sam was not the picture of subtly in any way.

However, he told me that the date would take place far enough away from our hometown to keep potential sightings at a minimum. Maybe even not at all. Persistent doubts pursued, but Sam promised me that nothing would happen to us. That we were going to be in a very public space, thus keeping us out of potential harm's way.

I was probably just as delusional as him in thinking that we had control over the situation. But nothing felt more exciting than going on my first ever proper date with my first ever partner. And I couldn't say no to him when he was showing so many signs of life again.

"I want to know." I whined, watching as trees whirred past my window. We had been in the car for about an hour, and it didn't seem that we were stopping just yet. We were heading to a bigger town not too far from where we lived, but I had no idea what Sam had planned for us. I was admittedly giddy to find out. I felt like a hopeless school girl obsessed with the mere thought of her crush.

"You'll know when we get there." He tsked.

His Spotify was playing like it always was when we rode together. The more we listened to his music, the more I started to find the songs I also knew. Even though Sam didn't say it directly to me, I knew that he made a playlist with said songs. Clearly he paid more attention to me than I would have initially thought, and that only put me in a better mood.

The rest of the car ride left me restless. Sometimes Sam started to sing, and sometimes I bobbed my head along to the music. Most of the time we were just comfortable, and maybe I liked that part the most.

Finally, the car began to slow down. I instantly sat straighter, eyes scanning the area for where Sam was taking me. I raised my eyebrows as we began turning into an arcade parking lot. That wasn't what I had been expecting.

"An arcade?" I asked, suddenly feeling like a child in the best possible way. Kiera used to take Millie and me to places like this all the time as preteens, though I had never been to this particular one.

"Yeah, I thought it would be fun. They also have bowling, a restaurant, and a swimming pool." Sam said proudly.

"Have you been here before?"

"My grandpa used to take Chloe, Joss, and I here." He parked the car, casting me a thoughtful look. "Chloe would usually complain if things didn't go her way and Joss would agree with her. So most of the time I just hung out with my grandpa instead."

"I don't know how you're related to Chloe." I pointed out.

"She's always been difficult." He shrugged. "Some people are given everything they want as kids, and they let that shape their whole lives."

I couldn't help the curiosity following his words. "Weren't you?"

"I was. But I don't know, I like to think that I'm more grateful than Chloe."