KELLY

It's 2 in the morning I walk the hospitals floors quietly. I haven't been able to sleep well since I was 7. I chuck my slippers given to me by one of the nurses on my hospital bed. Now that I am just in my socks as quietly as I can, I slide down the hall ways. I slide down all the hospitals hall ways at least 4 times. I slide past the coffee rooms door.

Lucy one of my favourite nurses is sleeping in one of the arm chairs. There is a shortage of nurses and doctors so they all take turns and stay behind once a week to check on the patients throughout the night.

Today I am due to start a new round of treatment. This was lucky number 5 since I turned 19 one month ago. I headed back to my room as it now 7. I heard familiar voice I ran into mum's arms. She has always been there for me and has stuck by me and helped me through my ongoing fight with a brain tumour.

She is my only family and I am her only. I gave up fighting for me within 4 years of knowing and suffering through having this brain tumour. Now after 8 years of treatments I still continue to fight for mum.

I am directed to a room where the preparations are being made for whatever is suppose to try and stop the brain tumour. I don't bother finding out anymore what the "miracle" treatment is as all each one ever does to me is makes me lose my hair, vomit or/and makes me extremely drowsy.

Doctor Henry gives me a reassuring smile as I take my place on the operation table. Lucy hands me the mask. Once it is on I slowly I watch the world fade around me until I am left in nothing but darkness.

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
I wake up in my hospital room. Mum is sitting there on her computer typing a way. She is so beautiful but her constant stressing about me over the past 4 years has taken its toll on her.

"Kelly, how you doing? Would you like a drink?" Mum asks looking up.

I nod my throat is quite dry. She hands me a cup of water with a blue and black bendy straw. Looking at the clock on the bedside table it is five past 3, most of the day I have spent sleeping away. It seems like just a waste of a day to spent unconscious.

Mum is fidgeting which was a nervous habit she has always had. I start to get worried we sit in silence. Mum finally breaks the silence, "someone came in today to the shop looking for a job." I relaxed a little. We own a small shop called Nelly and Kelly's cafe on Poppy corner. It was our dream to run it together.

Before I was diagnosed, that is.
"I sorry I didn't even ask you but I said yes and he will start on Friday." She had nothing to be sorry for really. From the age of 10 mum and I had always made any decisions concerning the business together.

"That's ok mum," once again it reminded me we would been working towards our dream if I hadn't become sick. My eye lids become heavy and soon I slip into sleep.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Authors note:
Please point out the mistakes should you see them.
Ellie