two

Micah smiled at me and nodded, "Yeah would you like an application?" He swung a dish towel over his broad shoulder.

I nodded, "Yes, please."

He took a few steps backwards, a smile plastered on his face, until he turned around to face the tall bearded man at the counter, "Hey Marty, Ev's friend here would like to apply." Micah walked back to the stove and started preparing an order.

Marty's face lit up, "Well I'll be damned," he leaned forward on the counter while he chewed on a toothpick, "right this way darling."

I followed him to the end of the counter, he motioned for me to take a seat in one of the bar stools, so I did.

He crossed his arms, "Now I know Ev, she's a sweet girl. For you all to be friends, I'm gonna assume that so are you. I'm gonna make this easy on the both of us. I need another waitress, as you can tell we're a little short staffed."

I looked around. I saw G taking someone's order, and another girl wiping the table down next to her. Is that really all he has?

"How soon can ya start?" Marty's booming voice startled me out of my daze.

"I uh, I can start tomorrow."

Marty smiled with his mouth closed, "Now that would be fantastic." He stood up and stuck his hand out to shake mine.

I stood and took his hand, "Thank you sir."

"Thank you!" His other hand gently encased mine. For being a big man, Marty had a delicate touch, "And please, call me Marty."

I said my goodbyes to Micah and Marty and headed to the car.

Everleigh was listening to whatever music was trending at the moment, while she fixed her hair in the mirror on her sun visor.

"Hello hello," I got in the car.

Everleigh shut the sun visor and turned the music down, "You sure do take a long time to pee."

I put on my seat belt and looked at her.

"What? What's the look for?"

I pushed my hair behind my shoulder, "You, are looking at the newest Mocha House employee."

"Shut up!" She made a fist and covered her mouth, trying to contain her excitement.

I smiled and nodded, "I start tomorrow."

Everleigh squealed in excitement, "This is great, we're gonna have so much fun, you don't have to worry about the-"

"The convenience mart," I smacked my face with my hands, "I forgot all about that."

"Hey, we'll just go down there, and you'll quit. He can't control your choice."

I looked at Everleigh with a defeated look, "But David can."

Everleigh opened her mouth to say something, but stayed silent.

"You're right, this is the best thing for me, the way I've been treated. Hell, I only got that stupid job because of him."

Everleigh rubbed my shoulder, "Whatever you want to do, I'm here to support you."

I smiled and thanked her.

We both buckled up, "Do you want to go to the mall still? It's only noon."

I nodded, "We have a quick stop to make first."

• • •

I walked into the convenience mart and up to the counter, "Hey Liam, is Andy here?"

Liam and I have been coworkers since the day I started working here. He was one of two people at the mart to ever be nice to me, the other being Allie, who quit when Andy refused to give her a raise so she could raise her daughter.

"Reagan! I haven't seen you in so long come here."

Liam came out from behind the counter and greeted me with a hug, "I've missed you."

He pulled away, "So what's up with you? We're never scheduled together anymore."

I moved my hair away from my face, meeting his eyes with a sympathetic look, "I'm quitting."

His eyes grew, "What?" He practically yelled, "You are not," he laughed nervously, "why?"

"Yeah, why?" A big burly voice came into the conversation. I turned around and saw Andy standing in the doorway to the office.

"You missed your shift today sweetheart-"

"Don't call me that." I folded my arms and glared at him.

He smirked smugly, "Don't worry sweetheart, David don't have to know, this will stay between the two of us," He walked closer and lowered his voice, "I'm sure there are a few things you could do for me."

The bell hanging over the door chimed, someone had come in.

Andy stayed close to me for a few more seconds, then he pulled away, "Don't ever bring your ass back here, you hear me? And you better believe David will be hearing about this."

I held my breathe until he was out of sight.

I looked at Liam, who looked more scared than I was.

• • •

I walked out of the convenience mart and got into Everleigh's car. I felt bad for leaving Liam behind. But I couldn't put up with any anymore, and I especially didn't want a job that was monitored by David.

"Everything go alright?" Everleigh waved her hand in front of my face.

I smiled and nodded, "Oh, yeah."

She copied me, "Good." She stretched her arm behind my head rest to look behind her as she backed up, "Where to next?"

I still had that sixty dollars David gave me, even though technically it was my money.

"The mall."

She smiled and looked ahead as she put the car in drive, "Sweet."

this part is kind of short and all over the place,
but i haven't updated in a while, sooo i wanted to give you guys something

thank you for reading!!

- ab