three

As we pulled up to the mall, my phone started to ring.

It was David.

I immediately looked at Everleigh, "What do I do?"

She shot me a worried look.

If I didn't answer, he might do something worse than bruise my chin, "Hello?"

"Baby, where the hell are you?" He slurred his words, he sounded drunk.

I looked at the clock in Everleigh's car, it was five.

"Damnit Reagan, where are you?"

I jumped and squinted my eyes shut, "I'm on the way home, sorry I just finished with a customer," I was lying, again.

He was silent on his end.

Everyliegh tapped my arm and mouthed, "What's going on?"

"I love you." David's words stopped me before I could answer her, "I'll see you soon sweetheart." He hung up.

"I need to go home." I looked at Everleigh with apologetic eyes for the second time today.

She sighed and rested her hand on the steering wheel, "When are you gonna take control of your own life," She started the car, "he doesn't own you."

I looked away, "You know it isn't that easy."

She sighed again and put her hand on my shoulder.

I turned to look at her.

"I know, and I'm sorry." She smiled.

I covered her hand with mine and smiled back. She's always supported me.

David's POV

While laying on the floor, I held the base of my beer bottle as it rested in my stomach, closed my eyes, and thought of Reagan.

Where did she say she was going again? I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling.

I missed her smile, her laugh, her voice.

I needed her here.

I craved her lips, her touch, her body.

What time is it? I looked over at the alarm clock on our dresser, it was just after five.

When did she say she was gonna be back, at eight, right? I started to laugh then stopped as soon as I saw the box on top of the dresser.

Our box.

Open it, I debated with myself.

No! Don't, it'll only remind you of what you tore apart.

"Screw it!" I stood and tossed my hands in the air, then swiped everything off the top of the dresser.

I leaned my back against the wall and slid down until I reached the floor.

"God," I rested my head in my hands and nearly started to cry as I reached for the box, as it sat on its side about a foot in front of me.

It read 'Us' on the outside.

Reagan had decorated it.

Slowly, I undid the latch and flipped open the lid.

Resting on top was a picture from prom night. It was Reagan, in her beautiful blue dress that she loved because it had made her feel like a princess. She was holding a cupcake, smiling.