Study Date - Niam

Niall

Gah, I was so nervous.

I had asked Liam, the teaching assistant for my English class (who was in the year above me, mind you), to help me study for an essay on Romeo and Juliet.

I was pacing back and forth in the library as I waited for Liam. 

You see, I liked him.

A lot. 

I liked him a lot more than I should. 

He would always come over to where I was, asking how I was doing, if I needed help, all that. He knew very well I didn't need help, but he still came over to talk to me. It was the only class I had without my best mate, Louis, who was glued to me at the hip. He was the one who brought up the idea, and like an idiot, I agreed to do it. I couldn't back out, or he'd do something that would make me completely humiliated. 

I heard an unsure cough, and I spun around, almost bumping into Liam.

"Oh, hey!" I greeted, suddenly feeling a wave of embarrassment hit me. 

"Hey," he said simply, flashing a brilliant smile at me.

My stomach lurched. I didn't know what to say. I kind of just stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

He cleared his throat awkwardly. "Shall we get started?"

I nodded, and sat down across from him. He sat down, and then tangled his fingers together.

"So, what can I help you with?" he asked.

"Well, I... I think I need some help with the Romeo and Juliet test...."

"Really? You've been passing all the quizzes, even getting the bonus points right. Are you sure you need any help with that, at all?"

"Well, I.... Well... Ummm..."

His face grew amused. "I see. What's really going on here?"

I took a deep breath. "Well, you see, I really like you. Don't freak out! I mean, I just... I needed an excuse to talk to you."

He laughed really loud, making the librarian mutter a loud "shUUSH!" at us. He then quieted down and looked me straight in the eyes.

"I know you do. Louis told me a while back. I was trying to get you to notice that I liked you too, but I was too chicken to make a move."

I was dumbfounded.

What the fuck, Louis?

"Don't be mad at him, it's completely okay."

"He could have told me or something! I was freaking out the whole day and I had no idea!"

The librarian shushed us again.

"Listen, do you wanna grab a coffee and get out of here before the librarian has our heads on a plate?" 

I nodded. 

He helped me carry my stuff to his car, pausing once in a while to look over at me and smile. He climbed in his car and opened the passenger door for me. 

"Hop in, Horan. We're going on a date."