Chapter 10

DJ

He’s Jaydee’s dad and my boyfriend.

It was like a broken record that kept DJ grinning like a fool. 

“Do you really mean it?” He had asked Yanna the same question after she also introduced him to her parents via video chat. She just rolled her eyes at him. It was how she had always reacted whenever he pestered her.

Hearing her declaring their relationship status with witnesses solidified where he stood in her life. All the patience and waiting he did the past months had been worth it. He got his girl back and a baby as a bonus. What a perfect advanced birthday gift it was for him.

“I didn’t say it just for show. Or just because I want Jaydee to know you as his father,” she said with her back turned to him while she changed their baby’s diaper. “I said it because it felt right. I only ever thought about you all those months,” she added with a voice so low he wouldn’t have caught it if he wasn’t right behind her.

His heart seized at the admission. “Say that again. Please.”

Yanna carried the baby in her arms before facing him. “I only ever thought about you, DJ,” she repeated. 

He cradled her face and kissed her before Jaydee cooed and they had to break apart. “It was the same for me, you know.”

“Oh, I know,” she grinned, batting her eyelashes at him. “I’m your first love, aren’t I?”

“Please don’t seduce me, Yanna. You're still in recovery period. And I’m probably holding the record for practicing abstinence for almost a year now.” According to his research, he still had to wait for at least six months before they could try having sex again. Or longer if she wasn’t ready by that time.

“Oh?” She had the gall to shift to her bedroom voice.

DJ closed his eyes tight, taking a few steps back. “Don’t. Nope. I won’t fall for that. Your binder might have some sort of magic that can get you to move around with ease. But you know what happened when you went full seductress on me.”

That made her laugh. “Jaydee happened. Right.” 

“Right.”

And then she laughed some more, her shoulders shook with the effort, her face turning beet red. “The abstinence must be really tough on you.”

Confused, DJ looked down on his boxer shorts that had made a tent. “Oh, dang! I’ll...I’ll better get a cold shower.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, still chuckling while he made a dash to the bathroom. 

He had terribly missed this easy companionship they had. Admittedly, the past days had been awkward if not strained for both of them, uncertain of where they both stood in each other’s lives. But Yanna’s announcement broke down the wall. It seemed a surprise. How easily they had fallen back to how it was between them even with the baby in the picture. Cliche but he felt like all pieces had slid home. Just as he had imagined.

“Have you filed your SSS Maternity Notification?” He had been meaning to ask this since learning about Yanna’s pregnancy.

“Yes. I filed it right after my first ultrasound.”

“Good,” he nodded. “But have you received the benefit? Or the additional amount since you underwent CS? The provision for Caesarian deliveries is significantly higher than normal deliveries.”

“That, I’ll have to clarify with the payroll team.”

“While you’re at it, ask your HR if there’s an additional maternity reimbursement included in your HMO program. But unlike SSS, HMO usually has a validity date for claiming.”