chapter xx.

chapter twenty —
the mystery of hannah
& beth washington.

      Sage walks beside Mike as Sam lags behind the two, surprise still evident on the blonde's face because of what had just happend

      Sage walks beside Mike as Sam lags behind the two, surprise still evident on the blonde's face because of what had just happend. The three walk in silence for a few minutes before Sam finally starts to speak.

" I was not prepared for how ugly that thing would be up close, " Sam says in shock as Sage and Mike both pause in their steps.

" Yeah. . " Sage nods in agreement, " I don't think any of us were. It's one ugly motherfucker up close. "

" So I noticed something kind of weird about it, " Mike mentions as he grips the flashlight in his hand tightly.

" Uh. . what? " Sam asks with furrowed brows as she starts to venture farther into the mines, the light on her headband shining brightly.

" The Wendigo. " Mike states making Sam pause in her steps, " It had a scar. "

" So? " Sage questions as she raises an eyebrow, " A lot of people or things have them. "

" I've seen it before, " Mike starts to explain as Sage and Sam continue to stare at him with confused looks.

" What are you talking about? " Sam asks.

" I saw these old pictures of some old guy with the same scar– and he was turning into a Wendigo. " Mike explains making Sage and Sam's confused looks turn into ones of disbelief.

" You're kidding. " Sam and Sage chorus with wide eyes.

" It was one of those miners that had been trapped, back in the fifties. . in the cave-in. " Mike reveals the identity of the Wendigo as Sage and Sam share a look of shock.

The Wendigos had been around longer than they had even been alive.

" That means the thing's like eighty-something, right? " Sage asks in disbelief as she glances between Mike and Sam, " Jesus. "

" Spunky for an old timer, " Sam humours making Sage laugh quietly.

The three start to venture further into the mines as Mike starts to speak once again, " They cleaned the place out. . killed a lot of people. "

" They? " Sam repeats as she stops again, " You mean there're more of them? "

" Definitely. " Sage nods as she thinks of all of the Wendigos that had chased her and Mike on this mountain already. It was definitely too many to count.

" How many? " Sam asks quietly.

" Too many. " Mike answers just as quiet as Sam and Sage were.

Sage suddenly feels her stomach drop as she glances around the mines, she chews on her bottom lip nervously as her hand itches to draw out the gun in her waistband. The Wendigo had to be near, it was the only reason that her heart would be pounding in her chest as her anxiety rose.