chapter xxii.

chapter twenty-two —
the final showdown.

      Mike and Sage trudge through the snow silently as they made their way back to the Washingtons Lodge

Mike and Sage trudge through the snow silently as they made their way back to the Washingtons Lodge. Was it even the Washingtons lodge anymore? Sage was pretty sure that Josh's parents would most likely end up selling the lodge after the events of tonight, all of their children were now dead and the lodge was a just clear reminder that Josh, Hannah, and Beth were not coming back.

No matter how much people hoped that they would.

The wind howls as snow continued to fall, the duo ignoring the screeches from the Wendigos echoing through the air as Sage crosses her arms over her chest as best as she could, a shiver running through her because of her now soaked clothes due to what had happend just minutes ago.

   Oh God.

  Sage's breath hitches as the brunette suddenly stops in her steps, gaining Mike's attention and causing the man to stop too while turning to look at the brunette in pure concern.

  She looks to Mike with wide eyes as it finally hits her in full force, Josh was dead.

Joshua Washington was dead and it was her fault — Sage didn't even try to save him and now he was dead, his body somewhere in the mines and most likely never to be found.

It was her fault.

" Mike. . " Sage mutters as she finally makes eye contact with him with eyes full of tears, her brown eyes dark with the despair that she felt but wouldn't show at the moment. " Did we do the right thing? Leaving Josh there to get killed and hiding? Is he dead because of us? "

Mike frowns at how desperate Sage looked for an answer to a question that he had no idea how to answer. He believed that he had done the right thing by tugging Sage behind the rock beside him and making sure that the two of them kept quiet, the Wendigo didn't get them because of him.

He just didn't have enough time to even try to help Josh and make sure Sage would be okay, it had been a split-second decision that he had to make and Michael Munroe believed that he had done the right thing.

He had picked Sage, saving the brunette that he had just gotten back only hours ago.

" We did the right thing, okay? " Mike wraps an arm around the shorter girl's shoulders with a frown, his mood somber. It was a decision that he'd have to live with and run over everyday in his mind about how he could've maybe saved Josh also. " I couldn't risk all three of us dying to the Wendigo. . "

" Josh is dead though. " Sage frowns up at Mike as she sighs deeply and wipes away unshed tears. " Like he's not coming back ever, it's not some stupid ass prank that he planned like last time– "