chapter 38

"Where is she!" Poe yelled at Thomas who had only just composed himself. Thomas started to shake and tears stung at his eyes.

"I don't know what you mean" Thomas said, his hand hovering over his saber.

"Don't lie to me" spat Poe. Thomas shuffled backwards when Poe pointed his blaster in his face. Thomas's back pressed up against the wall of the building and his breaths sped up.

"What do you want Poe" he said while cowering in the corner.

"it's general Poe to you" he shouted. Thomas looked up in disgust. He spat at Poe's feet and glared up at him.

"Over my dead body" he yelled back. Poe raised his blaster closer to Thomas's face which only resulted in Thomas clasping his saber.

"Where is she" Poe demanded. Thomas let the buzz of the activated saber ring through the air, and he could tell that Poe wasn't expecting it. Thomas's body filled with adrenaline as the next events unfolded.

Meanwhile back inside Rey was struggling to keep focused. Ben stood next to her, not willing to leave her side as the nurses walked in.

"Alright honey, I think you're ready to start pushing" They whispered to Rey who looked dazed and out of focus. The nurses had finished setting up when he took a seat next to Rey. Her forehead was covered in a sheet of sweat and her lips looked dry and cracked. He reached for her hand and she clasped onto it.

"on the count of three you are going to give one big push for me" instructed the nurse, in which Rey just nodded sheepishly.

"1..2...3" the nurse had counted down and Rey instantly clasped onto Ben's hand with extreme force. Even through the pain he was feeling in his fingers, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

And then he felt it.

Thomas.

Thomas had jumped out of Poe's way who had just fired a shot at him. Thomas swung his saber around and took up a defence position. Poe turned, aimed and fired again, only missing by a hair. Thomas could sense the next shot coming and managed to force jump over the blast and around so he now faced Poe's back. Thomas ran and swung his lightsaber so it met with Poe's back trailing up his spine.

Poe yelled out in pain as he collapsed on the floor. Thomas's eyes instantly went to the droid that was rolling towards the hospital doors. Thomas ran as fast as his little legs could and reached the droid before it could enter. With a swift swing of the saber the droid had split in half with a massive spark.

Ben arrived at the entrance to find Thomas slicing BB8 in half. For the briefest moment, Thomas's eyes met Ben's. His small, fragile eyes glued onto his before Thomas was shot.

Ben's heart shattered in an instant, he looked up to see Poe crouched on the ground holding his blaster in one hand and his body in the other. Before Ben could even look at Thomas, he forced grabbed Poe by the throat and squeezed until Poe's lifeless body hit the ground again.

Ben turned to find Thomas's small body cowering in a big pile of blood. Ben ran up to his little boy and cradled him in his arms as his last shaky breaths escaped his lips. White hot searing pain rushed through Thomas's body, and his chest started feeling heavy with fatigue. He let a tear escape his body and looked into his father's eyes. Blood was rushing out the side of his stomach and Ben could feel Thomas's small beating heart weaken.

Ben choked on strangled cry that strained in the back of his throat. Ben reached down and wiped the tear that fell from Thomas's eyes as he gasped out one last sentence.

"I don't want to go" Thomas's eyes fell shut and his chest grew still.

Ben picked up Thomas and ran inside as fast as he could.

"Please! Someone help!" Ben cried out and the room went quiet as all eyes fell on the bleeding body of Thomas.

Doctors swarmed in and instantly took Thomas out of his hands. A tear slipped down his face as Thomas was taken away. His little boy was alive but barely. Ben didn't know how long Thomas could hold on for and he prayed that everything would be alright. Unfortunately at that moment a doctor walked back towards him.

"Mr. Solo we need you to come with us... It's Rey" the doctors eyes said everything they needed to.

Something bad had happened. Ben raced down the hall and flung open the door. Rey's body lay still on the bed and he saw 2 newly born babies cradled in a blanket with a nurse. He didn't know where to go. He raced to Reys side and saw that she was unconscious.

"what happened?" he asked desperately.

"her body went into shock after delivering the second twin, she is in a coma and we aren't sure if she will wake up" the nurse gave Ben some space.

He went numb. He reached for her face and stroked her hair back behind her ears. Even though her heart was beating, he could feel their force bond start to slowly fade away and he knew that she didn't have much time left.

A tear slipped down his face as he stroked her hand. He couldn't lose both of them in one day.

He couldn't lose Thomas. His bright red cheeks and small dimples that showed when he smiled. He couldn't lose the little ball of energy that he loved all because he hadn't been there to save him.

He couldn't lose Rey. His literal other half. Without her, life was meaningless. They were a dyad, a half of a whole and he couldn't lose her smile, her gentle touch and the reason why he was here right now.

He sat in the chair next to Rey holding his new pride and joy. 2 beautiful baby girls. If only Rey was awake to see her babies. He had hope that Rey and Thomas would make it out, but life wasn't always fair and in the gain of 2 new lives, meant that sometimes you had to lose 2.

Guys my heart broke a little bit while writing this...
I hope you can forgive me for this, just trust me when I say that you need to finish the story xo
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments 💕💕