Chapter Eight.

In the days passed, I thought Mr. Trevelyan would loosen up and tone down on the hostility, but I absolutely thought wrong.

Mr. Trevelyan became a lot more adverse and hostile as time withered away. It was like a whole new cycle of ours – I would go to work late, he'll yell at me, and I'll stagger into my office with watery eyes. I was pretty much used to it at this point.

"Girl," Susan said, shoving fries into her mouth. "It's been almost two weeks. This is like the longest Mr. Trevelyan has ever had a secretary since I got here. I think you're his favourite. You should be holding a damn world record or something."

I sighed heavily, drowning my sorrows in a can of soda. Classy. "I haven't spilled or delayed his coffee this week. Pretty sure that's why."

Susan and I were at the cafeteria and like always, she was helping to cheer me up after the usual back-and-forth with Mr. Trevelyan.

She brought her voice down to a whisper dramatically. "Legend has it that there was this lady who brought his coffee in cold and he fired her without even tasting it."

"I'm not even surprised at this point."

"Hey, ladies." Someone cut in and they slipped into one of the chairs in our booth.

"Hi, Eric," Susan said a little too cheerfully. Oh?

"Hey, Eric," I said. "As I was saying," I turned to Susan. "No, I am not going to say that."

"Say what?" Eric asked.

Susan opened her mouth to talk but I cut her off even before she said a word. "Susan said that I'm Mr. Trevelyan's favourite."

"Yeah, I think so too. I agree with Susan."

"Aha!" Susan said victoriously. "Told you so."

"You know, legend has it th-"

I groaned and rubbed my hand on my forehead. "Susan already told me what legend has. I'm not his favorite though. It could be you." I gestured to Eric who raised his brows. "Or you?" I gestured to Susan and she immediately shook her head a no. "Or that ginger-haired dude, I have never noticed until now." I gestured towards a man having lunch in the corner of the cafe. "But it's definitely not me. Oh, I'm far from it."

"Those were truly philosophical words, Isabelle," Susan commented. "But you can't change my mind."

I slowly laid my head on the table, banging it softly. She just doesn't get it. "Can we like, change the topic?"

"Keep denying it," Susan sang. "Even Eric knows and he is his friend"

"You're his friend?" I exclaimed, eyes still widened.

"It's not like he has a choice. I'm his COO. But don't make a big deal of it. I'm still his employee. He could fire me." He chuckled.

"Really?"

"Nah, just kidding. If he did, I'll kick his ass."

"Shut the- You're that close?"

He shrugged. "But that doesn't make me his favorite, you're still his favorite in my eyes." He winked at me.

"See?" Susan quipped and I groaned.

This is going to be one long lunchtime.

*

I was busy typing some documents on my office laptop when an email popped up.

From: Ivan Trevelyan
To: Isabelle Greene

You are dismissed early. The meeting with the board of directors is at 4. Be ready.

He sounded a lot nicer on email than in person. That's pretty sad if you ask me.

From: Ivan Trevelyan
To: Isabelle Greene

Any second later than 4PM, consider yourself fired and don't even bother coming.

Oh wait never mind.

When I arrived home, I took a quick shower and slipped into a midnight blue bodycon dress and a blazer. I did my makeup which was, as usual, mascara and shiny lip gloss, and I tied my hair into a ponytail and slipped into Kate's black pumps.

I flagged down a cab and hopped inside.

Geez! It's still early. I wonder why you're rushing. My subconscious arched a brow.

Because I want my complete salary. That's why. I shut her out and enjoyed the view outside. Green trees, beautiful birds, beautiful Mother Nature.

"Ma'am, we're here." The cabman said and I gave him his money. He nodded thanks and drove off, while I walked towards the building.

I took in a deep breath. It's going to go alright, I told myself before walking into the building.

"Evening Miss. Greene." 

I turned around and a gasp almost escaped my lips. My boss was in a gray Armani and it matched his eye color. He wore a white shirt underneath and a gray tie to compliment. Talk about a walking snack.

"Evening Mr. Trevelyan," I answered with a smile plastered on my lips.

He led me to a case of stairs and we climbed it. There's another floor above?

"Here we are." He led me to the highest floor of the building.

Whoa?

It was just like a restaurant, except that it didn't have a roof. It was like a balcony restaurant. The tables were covered with fine linen. It was like one of those fancy restaurants you see in films. I couldn't even dream, that I would ever be in a place like this.

Mr. Trevelyan's phone rang, snapping me out of my reverie.

"Trevelyan... What?" He said and then hung up.

 I held back an eye roll.  Drama Queen "Sir, what's wrong again?" 

"The contractors just informed me, the contract can not be finalized."