Chapter 3: 'Get walking'

"OK, get walking" Allison instructed, shifting her grip from Rory's backpack to the birthday girl's very small shoulders.

Turning her head back, Rory asked: "Do I have to walk in front of you all?"

"Yes you fucking do," retorted Jackie, anxious to show she could be just as mean as her older friends.

"Yeah, and don't turn around again, we don't want to look at you" Becky warned.

That made Jackie giggle.

"Yess we'll tell you when you can look at us, Gilmore" Allison said menacingly, to further giggles from the group.

It came so naturally to Rory just to quietly obey this stream of instructions.

Once satisfied Rory was complying, and spotting a teacher in the distance in the hallway, Allison removed her hands from Rory's shoulders.

But, even as Mr Medina approached, she kept a firm enough grip on the drawstrings of Rory's backpack.

Mr Medina, Rory's favourite teacher, wasn't quite sure what to make of this new social grouping, but Allison and her friends snapped into very polite and friendly mode to win him over.

Putting an arm round Rory, Allison told Mr Medina how Rory was kindly helping them with an important science project.

"Well you are in good hands", said Mr Medina. "I have always thought Rory is well ahead of her years, both in intelligence and maturity. Really, quite a remarkable young woman."

Rory winced heavily as he said it, knowing this would not help her cause today.

Trying hard not to guffaw, Allison just replied: "Yes Sir, we are lucky to have her help alright. Now, have a good evening, Mr Medina!"

"You too, Allison", he said as he smiled and got going, impressed with Allison's politeness.

Allison quickly took hold of Rory's backpack again and told her to get moving, while the two other girls walked in front of her now, triangulating the victim.

"What a suck," Jackie remarked to her two friends. "Can't I just punch her now?"

"No," Allison replied, "I told you, we don't hit people."

Hearing that came as a big relief to Rory. Whatever else, she couldn't handle a punch.

"Yeah we just crush their pride and destroy them socially," said Becky gleefully.

Strangely, hearing this gave Rory a sense of comfort. Pride was never a big thing for her, and socially, she was nothing in this school already. So maybe this will be okay, she thought to herself. 

What all three girls agreed on was that Rory badly needed to be shown her place by bringing her under their control.

"Keep walking," Allison instructed aggressively.

Having made it down a couple of flights of stairs without bumping into any more teachers, they were just outside the old gym, right next to the abandoned classroom they'd chosen.

Suddenly, Allison grabbed Rory by her left forearm and dragged her along the ground like a rag doll and right into the classroom.

The two other girls piled in, pumped up by this sudden escalation. Things were only just starting...