THE SURVIVOR EMILY OCTOBER 28

This isn't how I pictured my first time moving in with a guy. Abel, his father, and I went back to Abel's childhood home. My father insisted we stay together as a family, but it's time for me to venture out on my own. It's time for me to make my own decisions. It's time for me to be my own woman. I chose to go with Abel. My parents decided to move in with Eden until they feel comfortable enough to leave us. Ella is at a hotel. Eden told Ella that she could stay with her but Ella said she needed more space than Eden could accommodate. Eden's house is at capacity with our parents, Angel, Danny and Alex, and Sandy all under one roof.

Abel's house is like living artwork. I'm awestricken by every piece of colorful art. It's like living in wonderland.

Abel and I lie back against his ornate wooden headboard in his bed. I lay my head on the good side of his chest and listen to his steady heartbeat.

"I'm sorry," I murmur.

His lips brush the hair at the top of my head. "It's not your fault."

"I can't help but think it is."

"It's not your fault," Abel repeats, pronouncing every word distinctly as if it will clear up the mess inside my head.

"Is it over now?"

"At least the worst is." Abel finds my hand in the sheet and clasps it, threading his fingers through mine. "We made it out alive, Emily. We are incredibly lucky."

"I love that about you."

"What?"

"You flip a negative situation around, finding the positive."

"That's the only way to look at it. We're alive at the end of the day and that's what really matters. We're fortunate. I don't take anything for granted."

Inhaling, I breathe in the scent of his clean skin and fresh laundry. I press closer to him. "Thank you for letting me move in with you."

"You're welcome but I didn't think twice about it. Thank you for choosing to move in."

Abel's extremely easy to talk to. I guess he should be. He is a therapist. It's his job to listen to people and their troubles. It's a great change for me. I was raised to bite my tongue until it bled and swallow my words. I was taught to keep secrets and deny existing problems. I enjoy Abel. I love being around him. I cherish every second I have with him. He's my first real relationship. I love this man. And this isn't some naivety of an inexperienced woman falling for any guy that notices her. No. This is the type of love that warms me from the inside out. This is real and as solid as a mountain. We haven't known each other for long but we've survived murder attempts and crazed mad men together. We both made it out alive and our relationship is stronger. As crazy as it sounds, I wouldn't want to be in this circumstance with anybody else.

Abel's silent for a moment. I glance up to see him smiling.

His smile is infectious and soon I'm smiling too. "What are you cheesing about?"

"It's kind of full circle now."

"What is?"

"My life."

"What do you mean?"

"My pops met my mom at the Ravenwood Amusement Park on a hot July night. She worked there. My dad said she was the prettiest girl there spinning cotton candy. He said even when my mother showered she still smelt like spun sugar and summer." He laughs a little. It's sad and sorrowful. "They fell in love. They got married. She got pregnant. He bought this house for her..." His eyes go distant after he trails off. I wonder where he goes when he loses himself in his thoughts.