THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 17

We decided on a family dinner at Eden's house. It's just Eden and me and our parents. Eden and I chose not to invite Ella because we didn't want any bias to influence the purpose or outcome of this dinner. Ella is a daddy's girl and will forever love our father. We all know where Ella's loyalty lies.

Eden cooked bronzed salmon topped with lemon butter cream sauce and wild rice. Eden also baked buttery yeast rolls. I help serve, setting the table with plates, cloth napkins, and silverware. I search her China cabinet for the good wineglasses. Eden brings out a bottle of pinot noir. She fills everyone's glass except our father's. I grab a can of sparkling water and fill my father's glass. My mother lifts her glass of red and sips. My father watches her and glances at me, smiling. I wonder if he's ever tempted to take a swallow. I'm proud that he resisted temptation so far.

We hold hands around the table once everyone is seated and bow our heads. My father is the one to pray over the food.

"Lord, we thank you for bringing us all together. We thank you for the hands that prepared this beautiful meal. We thank you for all of our blessings. Amen."

"Amen," we say in chorus.

"This food is absolute perfection," my mother says, biting into a forkful of salmon.

"I'm glad you like it," Eden says. She glances at our father. "How's the food?"

He nods, winking at her. "Superb. You can do no wrong in my eyes, sweetheart."

She smiles.

"What have my children been up to?" my mother asks. "Though we're living with Eden, she's been absent lately. We hardly see each other. And Emily you're in a serious relationship now. You both are growing beautifully. Fill us in."

"The usual," Eden says with smile that might split her pretty face. I know Eden better than she thinks. She has different smiles that reveal things. This megawatt smile is very telling. She's hiding something that's really bothering her.

"Our children are not usual," my father says. He glances between both of us, grinning. "Give us details."

I sip at my wine. "Abel and I are doing well. He's unbelievably patient with me. What we have between us feels right. I'm in love with a great man."

My parents are all smiles. "That's lovely, honey," my mother says.

My father nods. "We're happy for you. Abel is a standup young man."

"And you, Eden?" my mother prompts. "How are things with Angel?"

Eden dabs her mouth with a napkin. "Things aren't perfect between us. I love him to death, but I'm still working through some things. Angel will always be the man of my dreams and the love of my life. He supports everything I do."

"I'm glad you have each other," my father says.

Eden smiles at him.

We eat in silence. The white static of silverware scraping against porcelain plates fills in the quietness. We dab the corners of our mouths and hold the wineglasses by the stem without smudging the crystal with our fingerprints. We are such courteous beasts. Every smiling face around this table has something to hide. I wonder if things would be better if we shed our civilized masks and unleash our beasts. Surely then there will be no pretending. No places to hide. No deceit to fall victim to.

I will be the example of truth, if only to appease myself. "We're here to address the past abuse and to see if we want to move forward with our relationship with Dad," I say.

My father's easy smile falters. He blinks as if totally blindsided.

My mother reaches for her glass, guzzling down wine.