THE HERO ANGEL DECEMBER 4

John's expression is sorrowful as he opens the door for me. He leads me upstairs to their bedroom. Ashley lies in bed, prompt up with thick soft pillows. Half of her face is badly bruised. She gives me a tired smile. I can see the cracks beneath it. She's barely holding it together. She gestures for me to sit in the chair near her bed. I force my stiff legs to move. My gaze returns to the angry purple bruises on her face. "I'm so sorry."

Her brown eyes glaze over with tears. She tries to hold them in but they fall and roll down her cheeks.

I reach out, gently squeezing her hand.

"It's not your fault," Ashely says hoarsely.

"Tell me what happened."

"I was out running errands and when I got back in my car and started to drive, I realized my brakes weren't working. I swerved away from oncoming traffic and crashed into a tree. Thank God for safety bags and seatbelts. The car is totaled but I walked away only with ugly bruises." She stares down at her stomach. "It could've been so much worse."

"Is the baby fine?" I ask, forcing the words from my constricted throat.

She nods, rubbing her belly. "Yes. We're okay."

Sighing in relief, I drop my face in my hands, trying my best to hold it together.

"The accident is still under investigation but from what I've been told, the brake line was intentionally cut."

"Who would do such an awful thing," I say.

She plucks at a loose thread on her duvet. "The police are investigating." She gives me a dreadful look that causes my chest to ache. "Do you think Eden had anything to do with it?"

"No," I say. "She would never try to harm you."

She pulls at the thread, tearing it free. "I'm scared, Angel. I know you all think Eden isn't capable of hurting me but people change. In the heat of the moment anything is possible. I fear for my life."

"She wouldn't do that, Ashely. Eden wouldn't hurt you," I say, unsure if I'm trying to convince her or myself. "I don't understand the conflict between you two? What's the real issue?"

"Other than me being with John, we have no issues."

"You're telling me all of this drama is over a man?"

Ashely gazes into my eyes. "A murder attempt isn't drama."

"I apologize. I don't mean to be insensitive."

"Eden is obsessed with John. She doesn't like it when he's with anyone other than her. It's insane. It's sick."

"What happened five years ago?"

"I was an awful person back then. I bullied Emily in high school. I was nice to Emily because I heard the rumors going around. I knew she had a crush on me. I invited her into my group of friends. In reality we were all just a clique of mean, insecure girls. I pretended to be cool with Emily so she would feel safe enough to lower her guard around me. She fell into puppy love with me and wrote me a really beautiful letter, expressing how much she liked me. I showed people I shouldn't have and encouraged Emily's letter to be passed around. The kids at school were horrible to Emily. They made her life a living hell every day. My group of friends knew Emily was one step away from suicide. It was like they could smell it on her. They wanted to push Emily over that ledge and I wanted to watch. One day my friends called her into the girls' bathroom at school and started to physically assault her. I watched Emily get jump. They were kicking and punching and spitting on her. I didn't stop them. I hung back and watched six girls attack her. She must have told Eden and Eden drove to our school and kicked our asses. Eden was arrested. That was the end of that drama. Eden and Emily taught me a lesson. I needed to be nicer and grow a heart because clearly I was a heartless little shit."

Echo of a Bird's Cryजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें