THE SURVIVOR EMILY NOVEMBER 22

I stare at the calendar, frowning. I need to go to the store. David and Abel are outside, painting wooden barstools they've handmade. I don't bother them. I wish I could drive myself but I don't have a license. Eden doesn't have one either. The perks of having a personal chauffeur all of our lives puts us at a disadvantage. I don't even know how to drive. I wonder if Eden ever bothered to learn. I call my sister Ella. She definitely has a license. She's been driving since she was fifteen.

She answers on the first ring. "Good morning, Emily."

"Morning Ella. I need a favor."

"What is it?"

"I need you to take me to the store."

"What do you need? I'll pick it up and bring it to you. We can spend the day together and have sister bonding time."

"A pregnancy test."

"Are you pregnant?"

"I'm not sure. That's why I need the test."

She squeals like a young school girl. "How exciting. You and Abel will have the most beautiful child. Mom and Dad will be overjoyed."

"Do me another favor and keep this little secret to yourself. I want to confirm first and then tell Abel. I want to be the one to tell everyone, okay?"

"My mouth is shut," Ella says. "I won't tell a soul."

"Good. Can you also pick me up some Eggos."

"Eggos?"

"The frozen waffles," I say. "I have a craving for them."

"Wow. I haven't had frozen waffles since the 'eighties. Brings back memories."

"You're ancient, you know that?" I say, teasing.

"You say that now, young grasshopper. But your child will age you twice as fast than time will. Mark my words, your youth is over. I'll be there soon."

Ella comes half an hour later with the goodies. The pregnancy test is the first thing I grab.

After peeing on the stick, I pace around the bathroom while Ella sits on the edge of the tub. She tries to keep me distracted with her vacation plans to Bora-Bora.

The tropical sun on my skin, the fine white sand between my toes, and the spray of warm saltwater against my face sounds like paradise.

The timer beeps on her phone. The three minutes is up. I stare down at the little stick on the sink counter. Two pink lines are heavy and stark in the little viewing window.

I hold up the stick and show Ella. "I'm pregnant."

***

Abel, Ella, David and I sit around the table, eating Eggos. I smother mine with butter and maple syrup.

"We have to watch her," Ella says, pointing her fork at me. "She might go into the sugar coma."

Abel grins and rubs my back. "Let her indulge. She just has a sweet tooth right now."

Ella smirks. "She has more than a sweet tooth in her."

I kick her leg under the table.

"Ouch," she says, frowning.

"So what are the plans for today?" David asks.

"Spending time with my baby sister is number one on my list," Ella says.

"There's something I need to confess." I take out the pregnancy test and lay it on the table.

Abel stares down at the stick, his eyes growing enormous.