chapter XIII ༄

Maybe, you're gonna be the one that saves me.

             | Wonderwall - Oasis

"Miss Wallis! Miss Wallis, are you listening?" Slughorn's voice echoed in Julia's ears

Even though she heard the professor calling out to her, her mind was somewhere else. She hasn't spoken to Tom since the incident. Their eyes would sometimes meet, but not for long.

Even though she hated him, a part of her wished that he would be there with her. Hatred never stopped her from missing him.

"Miss Wallis!"

Julia flinched, directing her gaze towards the professor. "I-I'm sorry, professor. What was the question?"

"What are the ingredients to the Cure for Boils?"

Julia flashed a sad smile. She remembered her second private lesson with Tom, when she learned how to make the Cure for Boils. "Horned slugs, snake fangs..." she always forgot the third ingredient.

"Porcupine quills." a familiar voice answered. It was Tom, sitting at the back of the class.

"Very good, Mr Riddle. As for you, Miss Wallis, I would appreciate it if you would pay attention in my classes. I know that Potions isn't your forte, but a little effort wouldn't harm you now, would it?" the professor had a strict, yet friendly tone.

Julia nodded, sliding down in her seat. Her face was burning of embarrassment.

"I won't give you homework, for I wouldn't want to spoil your Christmas holidays."

The students all cheered at Slughorn's statement. He never tortured them with work during the holidays, for which they were very grateful.

"Have a Merry Christmas! Class dismissed."

~

"What will you guys do during the holidays?" Aaliyah asked her closest friends.

"I'm going to my grandparents this year." Pandora answered.

"I am celebrating with my brother. How about you?" Julia asked.

"I'm going home to my parents, as usual." Aaliyah chuckled. "And I really hope I'm getting that cookbook I asked for. What did you guys ask for Christmas anyway?"

"Nothing. I'll be fine with whatever I get." Pandora answered.

Julia smiled.  "A broom."

Both her friends looked at her. "A broom?" they asked.

"I decided to join the quidditch team." the girl said confidently.

Aaliyah's eyes widened. "Lia, that's amazing! But... isn't it too late for that? I mean, you're in your seventh year."