Chapter One

"What the hell? The first thing I see this morning is news about another kidnap!" Keith exclaimed as he switched off the TV set. Keira, his younger sister approached from the kitchen to sit beside him, shooting him a glare.

"What?" He mouthed, eyes wide.

"Language." Keira replied, earning an eye roll from her brother. At eighteen, Keira acted like she was older than twenty one year old Keith and she acted like the second mom in the family even though she was more reserved than her twin sister, Kayla.

"Where's Kim?" Keira asked about their younger brother.

"Doing what fourteen year olds do the week before their summer vacation comes to an end."

"And what exactly is that?"

"Do I know?" He shrugged, moving further back into the sofa, resting the back of his head against his intertwined hands.

What was with the attitude? She wanted to ask but instead, she said, "How's your job seeking coming?" Taking a sip from the coffee in her favorite mug with 'SpongeBob' written all over it in yellow letters, she waited for him to speak.

"I'm going to find a job soon." Was his only response. . Keira looked like she was about to say something else but she fell silent and got up to pour him a cup of coffee instead. As she handed it over to him, she studied him. He looked like he didn't get any sleep last night. His honey-brown hair stuck out in different directions, like he had tried to pull it out of frustration. There were dark circles under his eyes and he had a 5 o'clock shadow on his face, indicating that he hadn't bothered to shave. This was saying a lot because he was the one to always freak out each time he found that there was just a strand of hair out of place on his head. In all, he looked miserable.

"Why don't you have a shower, then we'll take a walk into town after breakfast." She suggested to him and he got up to stretch his legs.

"I'm going to have a shower, yes. I'm having breakfast, yeah. But I'm not taking a walk with you and I'm definitely not gonna take a walk with anyone into town." Keira sighed at his answer.

"Have you been watching the news? It's been about one kidnap or the other. I'd rather stay home."

"You're such a wi-" Kayla paused on her way down the stairs at the sight of her brother's appearance. After a second, she continued down the stairs.

"You're a wimp. Scared you're gonna get kidnapped?" She laughed.

"Now, with the way security is in Winiview, the kidnapper would either find another town to operate or stop entirely. God knows what he did with those people he took." Both sisters cringed.

"The kidnappings took place at night." The older twin, Keira, pointed out and Kayla nodded in confirmation. As long as Keith was in the comfort of their home, he wouldn't spill what was bothering him and the twins knew that too.

"It's Saturday morning." They both said in unison.

"I won't succumb to peer pressure." Keith folded his arms across his chest stubbornly, plopping back down on the sofa. "And it's weird that both of you have been in agreement over topics for a few days now. What's going on? Spill."

"Is it as weird as our parents giving us all names that start with the letter K because theirs start with J and K comes after it?" Kayla questioned in one breath as she moved to the kitchen. That question was like her mantra anytime someone questioned her or anything she did as being weird.

"Nope." Keith replied almost immediately.

"Come on Keith", Keira pleaded, back to the major subject.

"Let's just go tomorrow". He pleaded too. "Church service is tomorrow." She said quickly.

"Monday?" Keith asked.

"Morning shift till Friday."

"Yes!" Keith snapped his fingers as if realizing something. "Next Saturday."

At his answer, Keira stared at him blankly and Kayla laughed from her position in front of the stove in the kitchen. "Just take it that he doesn't want to go anywhere with you."

Kayla walked away, deliberately stepping on his foot as she made her way up the stairs. "Ow!" He gave a whine that sounded melodious in Keira's ears.

"Served you right." Kayla hollered in laughter.