eleven

"hey, mingi." i approached mingi in the cafeteria, which was rare, i mean being here is rare plus the fact that i'm actually bugging his shoulder right now. he looked at me, like he was terrified, "d-do i know you?" he asked, slightly pushing me away, and i laughed out loud.

"i got a date." i told him, and he looked spooked, like that day when he saw me and seonghwa together, "with seonghwa?" he asked, and i got confused. "no, idiot!" i playfully hit his arm, in which he looked hurt, "then what?" he asked.

he looks a little.. mad. but i don't want to be affected. i got on my toes and got closer to his ear, "for you and kyunghee!" i whispered, then he looked relieved, "so that's what you're talking about!" he smiled wide, jokingly hitting the air, like he was going to hit me. that's right, that's the kind of reaction i was expecting when i tell you this.

"hey, hyerin!" i heard seonghwa's voice call out. i turned around to see where he was and he was walking towards me with canned coffee in his hands. "hey!" i greeted back with a wide smile, waving my hand. when seonghwa reached me, he looked at mingi for a second, so i had to look at mingi too;

he looked devastated, like having a mental crisis. is it because he's weirded out with seonghwa and i being together when i failed a past confession? after a second of making eye-contact with mingi, "hey." seonghwa finally greeted, almost like mocking? mingi kept his face expression, then greeted back a cold "hey, seonghwa."

"mingi, hurry up—" i saw kyunghee speed-walking from behind mingi, she stopped when she saw me, then she looked at seonghwa, surprised. mingi turned around to look at kyunghee after a pause, and that's when he walked away, "let's go?" a change of tone to his voice as he talks to kyunghee, he sounds really sincere. kyunghee kept looking at me a few seconds as she was walking away with mingi, and i just smiled at her.

"hyerin." seonghwa spoke, i looked at him with my face still a little gloomy, then he smiled widely, changing my whole mood to.. happy. "let's go." he told, then gave me my canned coffee. we walked away from the spot together and he started speaking but i was only half-listening since i looked back to take one last peek at mingi and kyunghee.

turn around, please, i wished, to who? well, i don't really know;

mingi turned around and our eyes met, my eyes widened and his face expression seemed really gloomy. like he's disappointed in.. me? or.. us?

i quickly looked back to my front, whilst seonghwa was still saying stuff. everything felt blurry, my vision was kind of blurry, and my hearing felt a little weird.

does mingi hate me?

"study hard for the upcoming exams!" mr. kang told everyone as the bell rang.

dismissal time.

i stood up with my backpack strap on one shoulder, not taking my eyes off mingi. he hasn't looked at me ever since earlier, that means he's really mad, right? i hate this feeling, a strong emotion rumbled inside me, so i just had the random nerve to go talk to mingi and maybe resolve things. it's a half-assed thought out plan but i'm going for it.

i walked past kyunghee and my friends. they all seemed surprised to see me walking that fast, mina asked, "where are you going!" but i didn't answer, it's weird because i never rush out of the classroom like this, or rush to anywhere, so it's even weirder that i'm rushing towards mingi. mingi, whose back was turned to me. mingi, who was packing his bag;

that's when i took the courage to say his name.

"mingi." i said, then he turned around to look at me, picking up his bag. "hey, hyerin!" he cheerfully replied. huh? i slightly backed up as i heard him speak. he doesn't seem mad at all? "h-hey." i stuttered as i greeted him again. what's with his sudden change of mood?

"wanna come to my house?" he asked, i became really weirded out by then, "what?" i asked him rudely. then he smiled at me, that annoying smile he's got is back, "let's study for the exams." he told me. i looked at kyunghee who was far in distance, she was looking at us, and then i looked at mingi again, "shouldn't you go with her?" i asked him.

mingi chuckled, "but you're better at studying." he complimented me? but more like made fun of me. i almost rolled my eyes but i knew i had to talk with him about seonghwa to talk about that.. disappointed gaze. i just can't get that image off my head, that image where we're both walking away from each other with our own partners.

"you good?" mingi asked, i blinked then nodded, then cleared my throat, making sure i don't seem awkward, "right now?" i asked. he nodded then looked kyunghee, i did too.

"i'll be going with her for today." he said out loud, which kind of embarrassed me, but thank god there were only a few students left in the classroom, including his and my group of friends. "oh," kyunghee said, in a tone which comes out like she's obviously pushing to sound okay with it, "sure." she answered.