/ / 6 / /

'You accepted the love you thought you deserved.'

Even after a whole month passed, that was all I could think about. It haunted me day and night. It made me look back at every moment I shared with Riley. It made me doubt myself. Was I really happy with Riley? Was he even good to me?

Did I even love him?

The answer is I don't know. I don't even know what love is. So how would I even know what love felt like?

I have been a total mess ever since that horrible day. It was so damn hard to forget everything that happened. Riley tried to talk to me in school the next day but I poured cold soda all over him. In my defense, he pissed me off really badly.

Kera has been cheering me up every day and I can't thank her enough for being such an awesome best friend. But I feel bad because I haven't really talked to her ever since the whole repeating-senior-year situation. I promised myself that I will be a better friend to her.

Kai has been pulling his disappearing act like usual. But, I was nervous every time he showed up and was relieved every time he disappeared. I don't if I have the mental strength to handle the next issue.

"Hey, I think that's your cousin."

Kera's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I turned to look at the direction she was looking at.

"What is Brent doing here?" I asked. He was standing by his car and he was scanning the crowd. His gaze landed on me and a smile formed on his face.

We waved at each other. "I'm gonna go find out why he's here, can we take a raincheck on shopping?"

"Of course, I'll see you tomorrow. Love you."

"Love you too."

I said and walked towards Brent. "Hey you, this is a surprise."

"Well, that was the intention." He laughed and pulled me in for a hug.

"So, what are you doing here?"

"What? I can't visit my lovely cousin?"

I crossed my arms. "You do know that that itself is suspicious, right?"

"I don't know what you're talking about. I just wanted to have a cup of coffee with my awesome cousin. Did you drive here?"

"No."

"Good, let's go."

I sighed and got into his car.

—><—

"Here's your hot chocolate," said Brent while he sat down in front of me.

"Thanks." I said and sipped my drink. "So, wanna tell me the real reason as to why we're at a cafe?"

"Okay now I'm offended."

"Brenton." I threatened.

"Fine, your dad asked me to check up on you."

"Of course he did."

"You've got to cut him some slack Bella. He's worried about you. You've been acting weird since school started and I know you're not okay because of that twat."

"I'm fine Brent, it's been a month."

"So? Time doesn't heal pain, Bella. Heck, I don't even know what heals it. But, you've got us to rely on. You're not alone. We want you to know that."

"Thanks, Brent, really. But I'm over it and I don't wanna think about it anymore, okay? Let's just talk about you. What's going on with you? It's been a while since we talked."

"Yeah. I don't really have anything going on except having a boyfriend."

"OMG, you got a boyfriend! Is that the same guy you've been texting?"

"No, that one ended as soon as it started. I met Lan at a party and we both connected instantly."

"That's so cute. How long?"

"About two months now."

"I hope to meet him someday." I grinned.

"Definitely." Before he could say more, the buzzing of his phone took his attention. "Hey, I gotta take this call, I'll be right back."

Brent got up and walked passed me and I looked behind to see his retreating figure. 'I'm really lucky to have Brent in my life', I thought. Then, I turned back in front and flinched in fear. Because I found a pair of eyes looking right at me with a big grin.

"Kai! You scared the hell out of me! What if someone saw you?" I asked as I put my hand on my chest.

"No one saw me, Ellie, I made sure."

"Of course you did. What are you doing here?"

"It's time."

Those two words made me freeze just for a few seconds. But I managed to remain calm in front of him. "Right now?"

"Right now." Kai said and placed a square-shaped envelope on the table. "Don't be scared, Ellie."

He saw my hesitation. I didn't want to see what was inside that envelope. My mind was screaming at me to run away. To hide in some place that Kai could never find me. But I knew it was inevitable. Kai would find me easily. I sighed and opened the envelope. The words on the square-shaped paper surprised me.

SAVE YOUR COUSIN

"My cousin?" I asked Kai.

"You should know which cousin."

"What do I have to save Brent from?"

"Follow him and you'll find out."

"Wha-"

"Oh look, his coming back."

I turned around and saw Brent walking over. I turned back to find the seat in front of me empty. I'll never ever get used to that. Brent sat down with a sad expression.

"I'm so sorry but I've got to go."

"Oh, is everything okay?"

"Yeah, it's just an emergency. But I'll come over on the weekend and we can hang out, that okay?"

"Yeah." I smiled.

"So sorry and love you."

Brent left before I could even reply. Then I remembered Kai's words. I quickly got out of the cafe and saw Brent's car already driving away. How am I gonna follow him? Just then, a car stopped in front of me.

"Need a ride?" Kai looked at me through the rolled-down window.

I gasped. "You stole my car?!"

"It's technically not stealing when the car owner is here. Now hurry up and get in the car before we lose him."

Here we go again.