35. Fortress of Seduction

Jasper. 

Of course. I found that I wasn't even shocked by Damian's revelation. Before Thomas, Jasper was the top dog in the Blackcroft empire. Efficient, persistent, cunning. And ruthless. It would make sense for him to eliminate his top competitor the moment he could. I remembered now, how after Thomas' death, Jasper had persuaded the higher administration to give over all of the Black and Tan data Thomas had accrued. And just like that, he was back in power again. Back in control.

"I see," I said at last.

Damian was looking at me warily, with what appeared to be a tinge of anxiety. "You - you seem to be taking it well. I'd imagine you must have a lot of hatred for Jasper at this point."

And can you blame me? This was the man who crippled my father, killed my first love and was now the single destroying force in my life. Hatred would be an understatement. Hatred was not enough. Yet at the same time, I could not blame him. Because that was the law of the underground. That was the law of my people.

To take when you can, and to give only when you know you'd get something back.

"You're not going to do something stupid, are you? Hayley?"

"I'm not." I heard how calm I sounded. "I mean it, Damian, when I say that I'm going to take down Jasper. That man has done enough. It's true that I have no idea how to even start doing that but it's what I want to do. It's what I need to do. For all the people he's - we've - hurt."

Damian appraised me for a long moment. Finally he said, "This world has made you soft, Hayley."

"Maybe it has. Maybe - I'm no longer the girl who left Blackcroft, the girl who wanted to rise up and be the first female kingpin of my family's criminal empire. Maybe all I want now - is a simpler life. But what's wrong with that? Not everyone needs to be someone." I threw up my hands. "I don't even know what I'm saying anymore."

The bus came to a stop and I got up. "Hacker dude thinks you're Thomas, for some reason. If he texts you again, try not to lose your temper and wiggle some information out of him. We know he's from Black and Tan - he's pretty much made that clear from how much he wants to destroy us. Try to provoke him, make him let slip some information. We'll go from there."

"Okay. What are you gonna do then?"

An image of Brandy's tattoo flashed through my mind. I shouldered my bag determinedly.

"I'm going to have a conversation with our local queen bee."

|*|

"So? What have you found out from our darling Mr Hood?"

Jasper took a languorous sip from the glass of red wine he held in his hand. It was the first time I was in Jasper's apartment - a luxurious penthouse suite in the heart of the city, on the tallest floor of the building. No surprises there. Jasper did always like to lord over everyone, both figuratively and literally. 

I'd always imagined Jasper's home to be a black dominion of darkness and despair and strange, creepy sounds - kinda like a bat cave - but there was a lot more color than I thought. They popped against the background - lush red cushions on a cream couch, a vivid jade vase beside the black TV, and the surprising African art dotting the walls. Though it must be said, that the art mostly consisted of large predators devouring horses and deer.