Chapter Twenty six

I sat on the sofa in Malik's study, clasping my palms. It's been far too long since I have been hiding and in just six weeks, years-long of hiding has been revealed. Sneaking a glance at the man that sat a few feet from me, wrapped up in his own world, I can't believe he made me do that in front of all those people. And just as I predicted, bad things would happen and see what just did.

Although I cannot blame my excessive use of magic that night on my sister's visit. Lily had always been a tattle tale. She never would have been fine once she realized how I one-upped her.

Also, the thought of Aria popped into my head. Shit! She was clearly avoiding me. Aria had a tendency to do that when she was mad at me. The silent treatment, she called it and I have been too busy to notice. Not that I can blame her, she didn't know I was a witch. This is just messed up. I have to go find her.

"What are you thinking?" Malik asked.

"How furious Aria must be." I pursed my lips and sank deeper into the couch, allowing my head to fall back as I let out a deep sigh.

Our eyes met when my gaze traveled to him. He was the first to break the eye contact though when he looked away.

"I've been meaning to ask," his brow went up. "How do you make your money? I know some other Alphas have businesses in the human societies but I hardly see any wolves here that leave the pack grounds"

"True. But the wolves that make our money are in human societies already. They hardly come back here." He stated, letting the binder he currently had open fall softly.

"I don't understand. Why would they choose to abandon their pack and live with humans?" I asked, hoping this will delay me from the inevitable a bit longer.

"They didn't abandon the pack, my ancestors selected families very long ago when we were on the verge of a war with the humans and sent them into their societies as spies, over time they infiltrated the humans, and being genetically enhanced it was easy to win over their favors and powerful positions."

"So they now live like them? How do you know they are still loyal to you?"

"I am not just any Alpha, Iris. This pack is deeper and more intense than you think. You're not the only one with an intense past."

That certainly piqued my interest.

"Now you got me curious. Tell me about it, it is true I always wondered why this pack was more mythical than it is real." His brow lifted and corrected my statement. "More legend I mean."

He smiled, placing his knuckles beneath his chin and supporting his head with his elbows on the table. "Don't think I don't know what you are trying to do my little witch," I scoffed "but if it'll make you feel more comfortable telling me about you, I'll tell you about the pack you are about to lead alongside me," he relaxed into his chair.

"About to?" I narrowed my eyes.

"Of course, you might be my mate but you're not yet my Luna," he said rather matter-of-factly.

I was taken aback. What does this mean? I was sure it was some weird ritual.

"I'll tell you about it another time," he smiled.

"Sure you will," I murmured.

There was a brief moment of science, just us staring at each other before he spoke.

"The story goes far back to the beginning, when gods still roamed the earth. They were seven brothers. Each of them had children, sons, and daughters. . At that time, the gods married their children to each other but the third brother decided he wouldn't let his daughters marry one of the gods and live through a life of duties and unhappiness because at that time none of the marriages really worked out. When gods married each other, the marriage was never able to make either happy because they were too powerful and arrogant to submit to each other. So he left the dwelling of the gods and roamed the earth looking for a suitor for his eldest daughter. One day the youngest daughter went outside and got into trouble. She got angry and killed a village's cattle."