[14] FIREWORKS

#9 WISH: jungkook, im scared. hold me?

In the blink of an eye, it was already new year.

New Year was a huge celebration. Of course, Jeon Palace could not miss out too. They had a huge banquet and the night sky was lighted up with colourful bursts of sparks.

Taehyung did not join the banquet. He was all alone in his room.

He was afraid of fireworks.

Boom! Boom! PEEWW!

Taehyung flinched and his grip on the blanket tightened. The blanket could not block the sound completely, but it was better than nothing.

Last time, it had always been Jungkook who would comfort Taehyung everytime it was scared.

"It's okay Master, I will beat the fireworks up for you!!" -was what the young Jungkook would say with a snot.

Taehyung shut his eyes. The blanket gave him an illusion of Jungkook's arms wrapping around him. He felt safe.

As he was hiding under the thick blanket, he heard footsteps entering the room. He took a small peek and saw that it was Jungkook.

"Huh? You're a ghost now but you're still scared of fireworks?" Jungkook snorted.

"Shut up.." Taehyung returned back into his little blanket fort and continued to hide himself.

Jungkook thought that Taehyung looked like a small timid puppy and laughed. It was a comical sight.

Then, Taehyung saw a hand sneaking into his blanket. "..Jungkook what are you doing?"

"Where's your hand? Give me your hand." Jungkook was patting everywhere on the bed trying to look for Taehyung's hand.

Taehyung reluctantly reached out to hold Jungkook's hand. His hand was sweaty and Jungkook's hand was ice cold.

"Okay. Come out."

Taehyung immediately retracted back his hand and tightened the blanket around him. "No. Scared."

Jungkook looked for Taehyung's hand again and held onto it tightly. He noticed that Taehyung's hand was trembling and  gave it a light squeeze.

Jungkook let the warmth and softness of his own hands to let Taehyung know he was there, that Taehyung will be safe.

This time, Taehyung did not retract back his hand.

"What are you scared of? I'm here. Come on out."

I'm here. Taehyung gulped. Right. He was there.

After a while, Taehyung finally came out of his blanket fort like a tiny puppy timidly crawling out after hiding for so long.

"Let's go."

"Go where?" Taehyung blinked.

Jungkook grinned, his bunny teeth on display. "Watch the fireworks."

Taehyung frantically shook his head and said in a low voice, "Jungkook, you know I'm scared of fireworks.."

Jungkook pulled Taehyung by his hand and the two of them left the room.

"Just trust me."

As he was being led away, Taehyung stared at the figure in front of him blankly. since when did he get taller than me?

In no time, they had climbed up onto the roof.

Boom! Boom!

Fireworks exploded in the air. Taehyung flinched and his body trembled slightly. "Hng-"

Suddenly, he felt a surge of warmth on his ears.

Taehyung turned around to look at the smiling Jungkook who had covered his ears with his hands. His smile was so vibrant, it was like a sign of bliss. He wanted this smile to stay.

But his smile died faster than wisps of smoke dissipated after a candle flame has been snuffed out. Jungkook's lips mouthed,

"Don't. Be. Afraid. You. Can. Watch. The. Fireworks. Now."

Taehyung smiled and nodded.

"Thank. You."

Taehyung looked away and he did not notice the next sentence that Jungkook had mouthed out-

"I. Will. Beat. Up. The. Fireworks. For. You."

Fiery sparks whipped the sky, bursting through the night, brilliant inks of light on a canvas of stars. Taehyung watched the sky, he was no longer afraid.

Jungkook was more interested in seeing Taehyung's expressionsㅡ the way his face would light up as he smiled, the way his lips would form a small 'o' as he gasped in awe..

His lips.

Jungkook gulped. Before he knew it, he had already leaned in so close to Taehyung that they were merely an inch away.

Taehyung looked at Jungkook with a confused expression. "What's wrong?"

A little bit closer. Just a little bit more..

The two of them stared at each other. They suddenly felt like the air had became a little too hot.

Jungkook tilted his head. He removed his right palm that was covering Taehyung's ear and replaced it with his lips.

Taehyung shuddered at the sensitive feeling and his face flushed red. "Wha-"

Jungkook whispered softly against Taehyung's skin,

"Taehyung, happy new year."