Grandma's House

It started as an offhanded comment about how we haven't seen Grandma Elvira in a while. I had barely mentioned it in passion, whilst I was helping Uncle Donald with the dishes. I didn't even think he had heard me.

It was maybe a week or so after our last "adventure," that Uncle Donald announced we were going to go visit Grandma Duck out in the country. So I guess he did hear me. Not that I was complaining. I really haven't seen Grandma in a while, so I really didn't mind. Besides, this was great because I got to take off work. Everyone was giddy about it, Donald even allowed the boys to bring Webby.

Grandma Duck was... well, getting on in her years. Being Donald's dad's mom and everything. Cousin Gus has been helping her out on the farm since a bit before the boys hatched. Gus was okay, I had just never talked to him much. He was really, reallllyyy coot kin. I mean, so were we, but he had the south practically flowing through his veins. We just didn't really get along.

Besides all that, though, I was excited to go. We had prepared to go down there for the weekend, but the trip would take an extra day for travel. Which meant a road trip! I wasn't too sure how we were going to decide on seating for the kids, but as long as I got the passenger seat, I was fine. This was going to be a fun weekend!

~~~

We had finished loading up the trunk of Uncle Donald's car with our bags, Webby's included. Uncle Donald was cleaning out the back of the car, the kids were discussing seating matters, and I had the hood of the car open, making sure that everything was in tip-top shape. I love Uncle Donald dearly, but his luck is not the greatest, and that affects the car way too often. We really didn't need the car to break down in the middle of our trip.

"Oi! What's going on out here?" I looked up to see Uncle Scrooge coming down the steps on the front of the mansion, looking a bit bewildered.

"We're going out to the country to see Grandma Duck!" Huey exclaimed.

I noticed Scrooge's eye twitch as he tried to give a supportive smile. "Are ye now?" He asked through gritted teeth. Ooh. Is he... jealous?

"Have a problem with that, Scrooge?' Donald quacked at him, emphasizing his name. Oh no.

I could sense an argument brewing, so I decided to step in before tensions rose any higher. "Why don't you come with us, Uncle Scrooge?" I suggested. Both men looked at me with a mix of surprise, fear and anger. "That way we could take the jeep, since it has more room and is more equipped for...country...roads," I stopped, noticing both of them shaking their heads at me.

"Why don't you, Uncle Scrooge? It'll be fun! We could go adventuring in the woods," Dewey suggested.

"...Why not? I'd love to come," Scrooge shrugged with a fake smile. He sent a glare my way, and I shrugged. My bad?

So we transferred all of our stuff to the jeep and Scrooge added his stuff as well. The kids all sat in the back, I sat on the cushioned floor behind the front seats, Scrooge in the passenger seat, and Donald in the driver's seat.

We all got settled in and began the 10-hour-drive to Grandma's house. This trip might feel much longer than I had hoped.

~~~

As per road trip protocol, Louie and I napped for at least the first two hours, while everyone else sat quietly and did their own thing. Huey was adamant on travel bingo this time. Once I woke back up, Dewey had started his playlist of showtunes. It looked like Louie was going to be asleep for at least another hour, so I got up and chatted quietly with the kids. Webby was extremely excited.

"Webbigail, you know that Grandma Duck isn't related to Scrooge through blood, right?" I asked.

She nodded. "I know! Miss Elvira Duck is from a whole side of the McDuck family tree that I haven't interacted with! It's sooo exciting!"