50 - Tea Time

The visions hit me every couple of minutes, and the adrenaline coursing through my body is all that keeps me upright on my bike. It looks like it's about to storm.

"He says he doesn't remember anything before the accident," Roman says. "And we'll make sure he stays away from the girl."

"You'd better, Roman. Be under no illusions. Your entire family is dispensable. My father has forbidden any harm coming to her at our hands, but I'm sure your boy wouldn't survive another accident."

A loud clap of thunder startles me out of the vision, and I have to swerve to miss a tree. I still haven't seen the face of the man Roman Patos is talking to, and I have no idea when the conversation took place, but based on the perfect posture, black hair, and fear flickering in Roman's eyes, America's shiftiest mayor paid Mr. Patos a visit at some point in the past couple of days.

I clench my jaw and swallow to keep the revolting mix of hot cocoa and digestive acids in my stomach where they belong. Lightning flashes across the darkening sky, and I push down on the pedals with more force.

I have to warn Reign. Roman said Reign doesn't remember anything; I have a feeling that's not true, but Reign needs to know the importance of acting like it is.

"He won't see her again," Roman says. "You have my word. He doesn't know anything, Cole."

I jam my bike into the rack near the hospital entrance and stand there for a second to regain my bearings.

"You'd better be sure, Roman. Everything hinges on her not knowing about her lineage and remaining ignorant of the legends. She may be weak, but if your son knows something and happens to tell her, that irreverent little shrew could be our undoing."

The receptionist doesn't even look up as I stumble over to the elevators. The moment the doors slide shut and I push the number nine, I feel like I'm being stabbed through the temple with a wooden stake.

"Find out what he knows and get this cleaned up, Roman."

"I will. I'll beat it out of him if I have to. He's already banged up so no one would know the difference."

Red numbers dance in and out of focus above the elevator doors... 5... 6... 7... I slip back into the vision.

"If anyone finds out the truth about what happened in that house, you and Rave will be put on trial, and I will personally see to it that both of you are convicted of murder and put to death within six months, do you understand?"

The elevator dings when it reaches the ninth floor, and my focus sharpens. I lean against the doorframe and try to gather myself as the doors slide open.

"Yes. I understand." Roman says.

I stand for a moment waiting for the image of the two men in the waiting room to disappear as I come out of the vision. The man in the navy suit with the slick, black hair has his back to me, but when Roman Patos' eyes hit mine and go wide, the fact I'm no longer having a vision wraps around my throat.

I just heard Cole and Roman's conversation as it happened.

I push the "L" button to return to the lobby before Cole can turn around, but nothing happens. There's another clap of thunder.

I push again.

Nothing.

A gigantic boom rumbles through the floor and all the lights go out.

Of all the times for there to be a power outage that isn't my fault.... And of course, since I'm powerless, there's nothing I can do to get the elevator back on.