FIVE

Back at the Stratford household, Iris was munching on a clean apple while sorting the things in her unpacked, messy room, when she heard a knock at her front door.

She quickly made her way downstairs and opened the door to find herself standing in front of Officer Shoupe.

"Deputy Shoupe." she said, shocked. She raised her eyes at him. "What brings you here?"

"It's my job, kid." he said. "Now are you going to be a polite hostess and let me in, or are gonna me hangin'?"

"Oh, right." she stepped out of the way for him to enter, before closing the door.

"Um, can I get you anything?" she cleared her throat. "Sir?" she didn't really know how to talk to the police in this town. After all, she was a pretty awkward girl, but her communication skills towards adults was whack. "I think we still have some leftover hot water from earlier. I could make some coffee if you'd like."

"That'd be great, actually. Thank you." he said, as he he sat down on a nearby seat while Iris went to get his drink.

"Did you hear anything about a riot in a party at the Boneyard the other night?" Shoupe started up again. Iris tensed up. She couldn't give herself away that she was off partying while she should've been home with her brother.

"A riot?" she said, trying to sound oblivious. "No, that I heard of."

"You're a decent liar, Ms. Stratford."

"But I'm not lying." she gave him a look of confusion, as he was skeptical and was getting into her.

"Fine." he sighed. "I won't get into it much. I just know that you and like... guns are sorta-"

"Um, you never told me the real reason why you came." Iris cut him completely, as she mixed the coffee mix with the hot water from the kettle.

"Right." Shoupe started. "I'm just here to check on you guys. You know. You and your little brother are just kids living alone in a big house like this."

"What?" she said, furrowing her brows in confusion as she handed him the newly brewed coffee she just made. "I'm an eighteen-year-old girl. Now legally considered an adult. I think that's pretty much old enough to take care of Riley. Plus I think I'm more mature than most people my age in this area."

"Yeah, yeah. I get you're technically legal to look after him. Speaking of Riley, where is he?" Shoupe asked, looking around the area to see if he was around. Iris sighed in defeat. First, she was talking about how mature she was to take care of her younger brother singlehandedly. And now he was not even present to prove her point.

"He's with his friends. Probably goofing off somewhere in town." she gulped, hoping Deputy Shoupe wouldn't start off a lecture about adulthood and babysitting. "Why do you ask?"

"You know, kids his age are always goofing around like you said." he said.

"Oh no." said Iris. "Listen, Deputy Shoupe. If you're gonna lecture me into looking after my brother, I-"

"That's not my job here." he cut her off. "I'm just saying that he could probably get himself into some serious trouble and you might have to take some of that responsibility. Who's he with right now?"

"Um, like, Rafe Cameron and T-"

"Yeah. Just make sure he doesn't get into any trouble, okay?" he asked, as he finished his drink and got up from his seat.

Iris sighed. "Yeah. Don't worry." she said. "He's in all good hands.

Shoupe made his way towards the way they entered from, with Iris following. When he reached the door, he turned towards the young girl one more time.