THIRTEEN

IRIS POV

I went back home, completely filled with anger. I obviously didn't want my brother around Rafe anymore.

After grabbing that bank statement mail I left on the table, I walked into Riley's room again, tossing the piece of crumbly papers at him.

"From now on, you can't hang out with Rafe and his friends anymore." I told him abruptly. And before he tried to protest against me, I continued. "Whenever you leave the house, you must tell me where you're going and you better have proof of it later. Because I don't think it'll be pretty when you find out that I know where our money's been going these past few months. Wanna explain the coke?"

"Woah, woah. Wait." He said, getting up from his seat before walking over to me. "You're taking away my only friends from me? You can't just do that." He completely dodged my question about the drugs.

"Okay, well, just find new friends."

"You can't just-"

"But I just did. Still wanna explain where our money went the past few months? Because it definitely wasn't enough for just 'necessities,' Riles."

"Okay, so what is this bullshit now? Now that mom's dead, you're gonna take over my life now?"

I had just about it with him now. I just left the room and walked out of the house.

I heard him yell "Fuck you!" after me, as I ran out the door.

It was probably almost 2am but that didn't even matter anymore. I had no idea why I always left the house when I got pissed at my brother. I guess it just a way for me to escape the stress he caused for me. The fresh air felt good anyways. It hit different early in the morning.

I was alone in the street of Outer Banks, North Carolina. It had been a rough night. Stressful. Whenever I was stressed, I took out a cigarette and lit it up.

I thought it could just swipe away all my struggles.

Though, it hadn't been even 10 minutes when I heard a vehicle coming closer towards me. I turned around to see who it was.

Fuck me. Rafe Cameron. Him and his stupid bike.

"Ris, get on, please." He called out. Though, I just continued walking faster, thinking I could outrun him. "Ris, please." He repeated.

"How did you get here?" I questioned. I had noticed I left behind at Barry's earlier.

"Barry drove me. Now just get one, please. I thought we were friends."

"What are you gonna do? Offer me coke? Just like you do to all your other friends?" I crossed my arms, still not looking at him as I continued to walk.

"Ris, just hear me out. I never gave your brother any drugs or anything."

I turned around, confused. Did I hear that correctly?

"Why should I believe you?"

"Because you're terrible at this parenting stuff."

"Like you know any better." I stopped walking and faced him properly.

"Ris, please. I didn't give him any because I knew you would hate me if you found out."

"Why does that matter? I already hated you before all this."

"Okay, well. I just knew better than not to give Riley anything." He sighed and took a breath. "Riley did nothing wrong, okay? You're just a terrible sister."

"You're the one to talk." I didn't know if I should still trust him. Yeah, I knew I was a terrible sister. I was never there for my brother. Maybe I should believe Rafe about this whole thing. I might've overreacted. But I still couldn't trust him. "Okay." was all I said.

"Okay? So can I take you home now?"

"Hell no. I'm staying out here. Plus I'm getting on that dirty bike of yours. It's stupid, by the way." I really just didn't want to go home and make an embarrassment of myself to Riley. I couldn't apologize to him just yet.

"Fine. Have it your way." I watched him drive his bike off the other direction.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. What the fuck was that conversation?

I held the burnt out cigarette in between my fingers as I lit it up again. Moments later, I impulsively just stomped it in the grass. I didn't want it anymore.

And that's when I heard footsteps from behind me before a familiar voice spoke up. "Iris." It whispered-yelled.

I sighed. What could it be this time again, Rafe?

But I turned around, just to find out it wasn't Rafe again. It was Riley this time. My annoying little brother,

I turned back around and just continued to walk away. I didn't want to put up with this again.

"Ris, wait." I heard his steps catch up to me.

"What, Riles?" I turned to him again, both of us stopping in our tracks to face each other.

"I'm sorry." I heard his voice crack. God, no. He was apologizing for something I was wrong about. Also, it was kinda weird. I've never seen my brother this emotional since mom died.

I suddenly grabbed him and took him into a hug. It took him a while to hug back, but his embrace felt good. I don't think we've ever hugged like this in a while. Not since mom.

"I'm sorry too. I was wrong, okay?" I told him. "I'm trying, okay? I'm not used to responsibility like this. Especially when it's you. You're a bit much sometimes."

I heard him sniffle into my shoulder. I think he was crying. "Yeah, I know."

"But you know we still have to try still? We have to try to cooperate with each other. We only have each other left, okay?"

"Yeah, I know." He paused to sniff in his snot and tears again. "I love you, Ris."

I pulled away from our long hug and looked at him. Yeah, he was crying. His eyes were all puffy and red, And I was too.

"Okay, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. I know you don't mean that." I smiled, teasing him.

He sniffed again and wiped his nose. I heard him chuckled and nod his head. "Yeah, I really don't. But you're still my sister."

"You're so dramatic." I slung my arm around his shoulders as we walked back home.

a/n:
HOOOOLLLYYY tysm for
15k and 400 votes💞