O How The Stars Smoke- Smoke

It was a chilly yet clear day at the tops of the high mountains where the Lin Kuei resided. Today marked the first day of Spring and the night humbly greeted the new season with a cloudless sky and trillions of twinkling stars. I felt lucky that on this night my consciousness decided not to succumb to sleep. 

Standing on the balcony, I remained balanced on my tiptoes and peacefully gazed into the winking night. All was quiet. All was peaceful. 

A small breeze flitted passed my hair and sought to break away the knotted threads. My breathing was deep and even; muscles relaxed as if the wind has whisked all my worries away. 

The stars, oh the stars; the little balls of gas, look at how they shine with never ending light. Being so small down here on earth, watching them so calmly, you forget the striking energy, the uncountable amounts of smoke and gas, that a star must produce to look so spectacular, to woo the audience on all worlds. 

Standing in the presence of such shining companions, a sense of loss blanketed over me as a curtain of grey twisted and swirled to block out the gentle light of the stars. The opaqueness of the grey bothered me and set me on edge for this did not look like a mist nor did it look natural. It looked controlled and manipulated. I searched the ground for the culprit of the grey, which I knew to be smoke. There was only one person I knew who could produce smoke. 

"Tomas." I gently called. I didn't want to disturb the quiet of the night therefore spoke softly. "Why are you practising at this time of night?" 

The smooth tendrils of smoke left Tomas' hands as he ceased practising. His bright grey eyes lit up and found my own. I always compared his eyes to a cats, where in the night, they would glow and reflect the light of the stars. "I could not sleep, Sweetheart. I'm sorry if I disturbed your rest." His voice carried a richness and comfort and made its way to warm my heart. 

"Do not be, I couldn't sleep either." I responded. "But was it necessary to block the stars?" I motioned to the wisps of smoke now dancing in the wind. 

He glanced up at his work, noticing how the stars could not be seen. Smoke smiled in response to my light (slight) teasing. "I apologise, my love. It was not my intention to displease you so." He said with a mock archaic twist to his words. It was his own nod towards the first day I met him, when my voice was clipped to the 'proper' tone and held the air of an aristocrat. I could feel my lips fighting back a smile, but when I saw the teasing smirk on my loves face, I let my smile break through. 

"Come up here so you can apologise properly." I told him and with a light laugh, Tomas made his way into the Temple. 

I waited for him. Looking up at the fading smoke, the stars fought back their audience. They seem to have shined brighter in triumph. 

Hearing his light footsteps, his slightly cold arms wrapped around my waist, he leaned his head on my shoulder, his silver grey hair tickling my cheek. We swayed with the light breeze and gazed at the stars. 

We were wrapped in our small peaceful bubble, where nothing bad or disturbing could penetrate. I was so safe in his arms. Two souls joined together, unbreakable. Nothing but pure love between us. We were perfect. 

"It's beautiful." I comment, the stars' twinkle reflecting in my eyes.

"Hmm. I've seen a thing that is more stunning." Tomas remarks, making me reach my mind through the most magnificent phenomena on the planet.

"The Seven Wonders of the World." I suggested.

"They are beautiful, but there is an eighth wonder I have come across." He replies, unexpectedly looking straight at me. It was moments like this where it hit me. He was mine. I could ask him of anything and he would get me it. I could lay myself bare to him and he wouldn't find a flaw. I was so indebted to him; which he didn't realise, that the only way I could show my appreciation was through my love and affection. I would do anything for him, lay down my life for him. I love Tomas. I love him with every fibre of my being. 

"Kiss me." I whispered. Like a moth to a flame, his lips gently brushed against mine then pushed with tenderness. We broke apart and looked lovingly into each others eyes, where our souls revealed everything. 

"I love you." I murmured. Instantly, Tomas smiled and unconsciously emitted threads of smoke, spiralling around us in a protective cocoon. 

"I love you too." He murmured back with such softness my heart melted. 

Yes, tonight was a chilly yet clear day at the tops of the high mountains where the Lin Kuei resided on the first day of Spring, where the night humbly greeted the new season with a cloudless sky and trillions of twinkling stars. Stars that looked down upon the loving couple. Stars that blessed us with a lifetime of happiness. Stars that never ended and burst with light, gas, and smoke. 

God I'm such a lovesick puppy at times. See you next time!