Chapter Five

Diana sits in the small classroom that the newspaper group has commandeered for their meeting, for all of their meetings. It's assignment day which Diana always looks forward to, she's been trying to get an actual written assignment for a while, whilst she loves doing the photography side of the paper she really wants to get her hands on some writing. She wants to show what she can do. A throat clears in front of her and the rest of the group, there aren't many of them, but just enough to get the work done. The throat belongs to Doyle, he's in charge of the high school paper, and he is, maybe, a little, a lot, too into the newspaper. He can get a little intense when it comes to printing day that has had student crying on occasion.

"Okay, so first up...We need an interview with the new history teacher" Doyle states and then looks down to the list of reporters that he has in his hand. "Let's see...who hasn't produced an article yet...."

"Not me, not me, not me..." Diana whispers under her breath. But she kind of knows how this is going to play out. It's what she deserves.

"Diana" Doyle looks at her. She looks up at him.

"Yeah?" She asks with a slight whine.

"You're always looking for a chance to do some writing. Why don't you interview Mr. Saltzman?" Diana lets out a breath. Bad luck. This is all bad karma and now is biting her in the ass. This is what she gets for hooking up with a stranger. This is what she gets for cheating on her boyfriend with her high school history teacher. That sounds bad when she thinks about it. But she can't do that interview.

"I'm good" Diana passes on the opportunity to write, she hates herself for it.

"You've been begging for a chance to write an article since the begging of the year" Doyle reminds her.

"I just think someone else might be better for this" She argues. Doyle gives her a look.

"Is it going to be a problem?" Doyle asks her, she shakes her head.

"No" She states. "I do not have a problem doing this" She manages through gritted teeth. "I'll do it" she taps her pen on her notebook.

"Good, you have a week to get a draft to me," Doyle tells her and then moves on to the other topics, Diana can't focus though. She should never have left Greece. She should have stayed with Artemis and her hunters. None of this would be happening if she'd just stayed there.

................

Later in the day, Diana tucks her hands into her pockets as she stares down at her parents' grave, she doesn't come out to the cemetery often. Finds the whole thing too weird and creepy. But they are her parents and she feels like she has to do this every now and then. She lets out a breath and shakes her head. She wonders what they would think of her life. She's not exactly putting all that training to good use either. She can't help but think that they would be rather disappointed in her. She reaches up and brushes away tears from her cheek.

"Did you know them?" Diana turns to see Alaric standing behind her, his hands tucked into his jacket pockets, she raises an eyebrow at him.

"Do you care?" She counters.

"I'm not sure what I feel worse about. Having to stay away from you or being a jerk about it." Diana softens, only slightly. She looks back at her parents' headstones.

"They were my parents" she admits, Alaric's eyes widen slightly and he moves closer to her.

"I'm sorry." He is quick to tell her.

"About my parents or for being a jerk?" She asks not looking at him.

"Both." He offers, she takes a breath.

"Thank you"

"How can you only be sixteen?" He asks, she turns now and frowns at him.

"Sixteen?" she counters. "I'm not" she answers, he cocks his head slightly in question. "I'm eighteen" she admits.

"But you're in junior year" he points out, she nods.

"Yeah, year in Greece" she reminds him. "Doesn't count apparently" she shrugs. "Got to do it all over again before I can go into my senior year" She lets out a breath. "Okay, so I'm just going to go" She whispers.

"Wait" he takes a few steps closer to her. "Diana...the way I spoke to you..."

"It's fine" she stops him. "I get it....sucks but yeah....I'm just a kid to you now, right?"

"Don't" he scolds. "You were the one who didn't tell me how old you were"

"You didn't ask" She counters. He stares at her, she scoffs and shakes her head. "I have to go" She whispers, then turns to leave. But he can't let her go. Alaric grabs her wrist and pulls her to him. Her breath catches with her surprise. She stares up at him, their eyes searching one another. He leans closer to her and they tease each other with almost kisses. Then they give in to the moment - it's intense, exciting, passionate. His hand tightens on her wrist as her own touches his jacket, her fingers curling into the fabric. After a moment she gently pulls back from him. Confused by the sudden change in his behavior. He lifts a hand to her face to brush her hair back behind her ear.

"Do you have any idea how much trouble I could get in for what we did?" he asks her. She knows. Of course she knows.

"I would never do anything that would get you into trouble." She assures him. He nods a little. Grateful. She pulls her arm free of his hand and takes a step back from him. "Goodbye, Alaric" she offers and then walks away from him. His eyes follow her across the cemetery.

.................

Jenna and Jeremy are sitting at a booth at the Mystic Grill. Jenna watches Alaric at another table, alone.

"I like a man who can dine alone. A quiet strength." Jenna comments, Jeremy glances at Jenna and then across at Alaric. He snorts and turns to his aunt.

"I thought you were still in that whole Logan-depression thing." Jeremy comments, Jenna smiles at him.

"I've sworn off men forever, but it doesn't mean I can't observe them from a safe distance," Jenna admits.

"Well, I can introduce you." Jeremy offers, Jenna raises an eyebrow at him.