Chapter 36 - Dancing with Talon

Kastali Dun

Claire was mesmerized by her gown in the mirror's reflection. The layers of tulle and iridescent beads shifted color each time she caught the light of the setting sun. Shades of dark green, purple, blue. Dusk was fast approaching and with it, the start of the tournament's ball. The air was electric with excitement.

Desaree gave her a moment alone, wandering around to light the candles and wall sconces. She wore a blood-red gown similar to the color of Verath's scales. The sleeves were fitted. The bodice too, which came to a deep point over her abdomen. The skirt layers fanned out, trailing behind her in a red waterfall as she moved about the room.

It was overwhelming to witness the transformation Desaree could enact upon herself when she turned the work of her masterful hands inward. Seeing her like this made Verath's affections easy to understand. No wonder he had struggled for so long to resist the temptation of her.

That didn't make his truth any easier to bear.

She turned back to her own reflection. Her golden tresses were piled high atop her head. A beaded comb was wedged into the pile, arcing around in the shape of a crescent. It sparked with iridescence to match her gown. The contrast against her blonde hair was astonishing. Desaree had even added kohl to her eyes and rouge to her cheeks. A small smile pulled at the corners of her lips. She would have killed for some real makeup, mascara and eyeshadow, perhaps even some lipstick. Never mind the other comforts she missed.

She put a gloved hand against her skin, flushed with the thrill of what was to come. The glow of the Sprite necklace at her neck pulsed with her beating heart, as if sensing her nerves. Her sweetheart neckline was cut low. It highlighted the curves of her breasts and chest, showcasing her delicate collarbones.

Tonight was the first time she was showing her Sprite heritage. The mark on her back, just below her neck, was on display for all. That alone left her nervous. But it was also inevitable. People would discover her secrets sooner or later. It was pointless to try and hide.

Desaree appeared beside her, as if sensing her nerves. "King Talon won't be able to keep his eyes off you tonight," she said. "Not that he normally can."

Her stomach fluttered. "You're incredible, Des. I don't remember ever feeling this beautiful."

Desaree wrapped her arms about her waist, bringing her chin to rest on her shoulder. They both gazed at her reflection. Was this what it felt like to have a sister? Someone whose face shone with nothing but love and admiration?

"And besides, it won't just be the king who struggles tonight. Your boldness will leave the ladies of Dragonwall senseless. They will all rush to their dressmakers tomorrow."

"You're saying I'm a trendsetter?" she giggled.

"Something of the sort," Desaree murmured, eying the gown up and down. "Madame Rosanne did a splendid job recreating the color of King Talon's scales. I hadn't expected such a close match. Even my own gown isn't as close to Verath's scales as it could be—and for good reason. With a gown like yours, you might as well be attending your bonding ceremony in the throne room."

"Des!" she squealed, pushing herself out of Desaree's embrace. Desaree's words hit too close to home. Her heart pounded. It was a coincidence—merely a coincidence. Desaree couldn't possibly know about her secret, could she? Had she read into their behavior farther than anyone else?

Desaree shrugged, backing away. "You can't blame me for voicing my opinions. The two of you would be perfect mates, Claire. You balance him—warmth to his cold. It's a shame he never found...well, never mind. Anyway, I must be away. I'm supposed to meet Verath, you know, to give King Talon the opportunity to collect you alone." Her voice dripped with mischief. "You'll be fine until then?"