Chapter 19

"Lucy!" Thea came rushing over to the redhead with alarmed eyes, "is Sawyer with you?"

"Sawyer? No," Lucy said, stopping on her way to breakfast, "why?"

"He didn't come back last night," Thea said, panic starting to waiver in her voice, "we thought he might be with you. Have you seen him?"

"I haven't seen him since yesterday," Lucy frowned, "we were studying in the library."

"He never stays out all night," Thea shook her hands at her sides, "we need to go tell a teacher. Do you have any idea where he could be?"

"No," Lucy trembled, "you mean he's missing?"

"Yes," Thea took a deep breath, "Macey and Sid are searching the castle. We have to go to Dumbledore."

Lucy nodded, words failing her, Sawyer was her everything, she couldn't live without him.

Lucy didn't say anything on the way to Dumbledore's office, her mouth was dry and her emerald eyes were wide.

"It's going to be ok, Luce," Thea wrapped her arms reassuringly around the small girl. However, Lucy didn't feel any better. Sawyer couldn't be gone. He just couldn't. She had promised him that she would never leave him. And they were separated, he was all alone.

Lucy didn't even notice she was in Albus's office until the older man led her to a chair and forced her to sit.

"Miss. Smith, what's the matter?" Albus addressed Thea.

"Sawyer, sir," Thea started.

Albus gave a sideways glance at Lucy and his eyebrows furrowed.

"Has he spoken to Ms. Evans?" Dumbledore asked.

"No, sir, he's missing."

The words coming out of Thea's mouth made Lucy's insides twist. Missing. Sawyer was missing.

"Missing?" Dumbledore's face hardened.

"Yes, sir, he didn't come back to the dorms last night, nobody's seen him since yesterday."

Dumbledore stood up from his seat and turned to the portraits on the wall, "Phineas, if you will, please gather the staff and inform them there will be a meeting in the staff room." He then placed his wand to his neck, "attention students, lessons today are suspended until a later notice, please return to your common rooms and wait for your heads of houses for instructions."

"What about us, sir?" Thea asked hesitantly.

"Ms. Smith, you may return to your common room, someone will take Ms. Evans to the Hogs Head."

Lucy nodded.

Thea put a reassuring hand on Lucy's shoulder, "we'll find him," she said before she left.

"Come, Ms. Evans," Dumbledore said gently, "everyone's waiting in the staff room."

Lucy forced herself onto her shaky legs, "maybe— maybe he just went home?"

"Yes," Dumbledore said, "we're going to check."

"Ok," Lucy nodded.

Albus led her down the staircase and into an unfamiliar room. The teachers were already there, staring at the Headmaster and young girl as they entered.

"Albus, what is the meaning of this?" McGonagall looked between Lucy and Albus, her forehead creased.

"I'm afraid a student has been reported missing," Albus said solemnly.