Chapter 35

Lucy found herself in the back of a broom closet. It was dark, the only light came from the crack at the bottom of the door.

She heard footsteps and people pass by everyone once in a while, but she didn't dare move from her spot.

She would wait until he came and found her, like he said he would.

It didn't take long for her to fall asleep, the corridors fell quiet and the light seeping in from the crack dimmed.

"Wake up," somebody shook her gently, "come on, we have to go."

Lucy's emerald eyes flew open and were met with ones of steel.

"Come on, they're still patrolling the corridor, you have to hurry."

Lucy accepted his hand, helping her off the closet floor.

"What happened?" She whispered.

"Potter was caught, Dumbledore is gone." His hand was on her shoulder, urging her along quickly.

"Dumbledore is gone!" Lucy gasped.

"Shh!" He warned, "do you want us to get caught?"

"Sorry," Lucy lowered her voice, "what happened?"

"Fudge tried to arrest him but he disappeared, Umbridge is headmistress now."

"Oh no," Lucy's face turned white, "I'm done for."

"You're right," he agreed, "she's already gone after Potter, I can bet you're next, don't drink anything she offers you."

Lucy nodded grimly.

"Don't be caught walking alone, keep your head down and try to slip under the radar for a while."

"Ok," Lucy agreed, "I can do that."

"You live in Hogmeade?" He asked.

"Yes," Lucy confirmed.

"If she ever catches you, make a run for it, she can't get you inside your home."

They turned the corner and Lucy spotted a familiar figure.

She flew forward and was immediately engulfed in large, sturdy arms.

"Thanks, Malfoy," Sawyer nodded solemnly, unwrapping an arm from around Lucy to shake the blond's hand.

Draco nodded, "keep her out of trouble."

"I will," Sawyer promised.

Lucy wiggled out of Sawyer's hold, turning to face the blond, she looked him in the eye.

"Thank you."

>•<

Lucy's days melted together, she kept her head down and her mouth shut. She was never caught by herself, always being escorted by someone, whether it Sawyer, Ginny, Fred, George, Neville or Ron.

It became clear from the start Lucy and Harry couldn't go anywhere just the two of them, if Umbridge caught them both at the same time, it would end terribly, she had already tried to trick Harry into drinking Veritaserum and revealing the location of Dumbledore and Sirius Black.

Nobody would've thought Draco Malfoy was the one who kept her out of the most trouble.

They didn't talk after that day but he'd send her questioning looks every once and a while and keep the toad away when he knew where she was heading.