18 | Welcome to my Bed

Chapter Eighteen: Welcome to my Bed

" the world's not perfect, when the world's not kind
if we have each other then we'll both be fine"
~ alec benjami

M O N I C A

I narrowed my eyes on the man standing across from me, but he didn't pay me any attention as he continued to move around in the small space.

I crossed my arms over the windowsill, watching as he shuffled between two other workers. "Joe," I called out, cocking my head to the side.

He froze when he heard my voice, but he kept his back to me. When I noticed his hand twitching, I bit back a laugh. "Why don't you... I don't know, consider shaving your beard?" I asked, watching as he slowly moved his head to the side.

When I caught a glimpse of his growing beard—which was currently in a hairnet—I tightened my lips so he wouldn't catch my smile. "I mean, at least you won't have to wear that anymore, right?" I asked, but when he didn't answer, I leaned forward until my stomach was pressed against the wall.

"I think you'd look good with a shorter length," I teased with a smirk. "The ladies would love you."

"You really like annoying me, don't you?" He grumbled, turning back to me, only to work on the stove right under the window.

I shrugged. "Only at three. Maybe until eleven," I joked.

"Fucking hell," he muttered, looking to the stove. I eyed his long brown hair—which was in a low bun, covered by the hairnet as well. I knew that his eyes matched the colour.

"Monica Effing Kelly!" A voice shouted from inside the diner, startling me.

Without thought, I spun on my heel, still behind the counter as I looked toward the front entrance, where a glaring Sophie stood. "You," she said accusingly.

"Me," I breathed out, raising my brows.

Her eyes narrowed further before she strode forward, erasing the space between us. Once she stood on the other side of the white and pastel pink counter, she slammed both of her palms on the surface.

"Would you like to explain to me why you didn't tell me your birthday was coming up?" She demanded, leaning forward. The movement got me to notice how her hair was now done in box braids.

When I focused back to her forest green eyes, I leaned against the wall behind me before rolling my eyes. "I thought you knew everyone's birthday, Soph," I said, reminding her about what she told me the first month I came back to town.

Her cheeks seemed to... flush? Was she embarrassed?

"I knew you were a Virgo, but days have been slipping by and I..." she looked to her feet, clearing her throat for a moment before pushing her shoulders back. When her eyes focused on me again, the shyness was gone and replaced with criticism. "You should have mentioned it was coming up."

I raised my hands up in surrender. "Sorry," my voice raised slightly. "Next time I'll be sure to consult you about my birthday when you slip up."

Her eyes narrowed on me when she accounted for my sarcastic tone. But just as she opened her mouth to speak, the front door to the diner opened, stopping her from her upcoming rant.

As I looked over her shoulder, I instantly grinned when my eyes met the familiar pair of bright blue eyes—which were slightly in the shadow from his baseball cap.