20 | Welcome to my Heart

Chapter Twenty: Welcome to my Heart

"I don't know why you hide from the one
and close your eyes to the one
mess up and lie to the one that you love
when you know you can cry to the one
always confide in the one
you can be kind to the one that you love"
~ marshmello & halsey

M O N I C A

   Over a week passed, and to be honest, I could probably remember one day total.

   Each day had been the same schedule—if I wasn't at work, I was with Liam and vise versa. I did, however, meet Liam's dad, Misha the following Friday after my birthday.

   The conversation about my plans after Christmas had been postponed by the looks of it, because after Meredith read a text from her phone and rushed out of the bathroom, I went back to Liam, who greeted me with a smile.

   I hadn't heard from her since then, but everything she told me that night stuck by me.

   When I got back home a day after from spending the night with Liam, I turned my room upside down before ending the night with me looking through my photos with Kevin.

   He'd never been verbally or physically abusive. He was fun, adventurous, outgoing and friendly. He was a good guy who never stepped passed boundaries.

   But I believed Meredith. I believed her as she cried into my shoulder, repeating the same words to me. "I said no."

   "This is looking fucking bomb!" I heard a voice shout with glee a few feet from me, bringing my attention back to reality.

   Tilting my head to my right, I watched as Sophie hopped in her spot, finishing up hanging the artificial strip of leaves on the counter. With it being the first week of October, we were in charge of the fall decoration.

   "Anyone who hates fall has serious problems," she said, turning to me with a smirk. When I saw her rocking back on her heels, I knew a rant was coming. "It's obviously the superior month."

   "You just think that because you love Halloween," I rolled my eyes, making sure I taped the other side of the garment before stepping away from the counter.

   When I looked back to her, I bit back a smile, seeing her glare. "It's called All Hallows Eve," she drawled out, crossing her arms over her full chest. "I need to educate you."

   "Sure, Soph," I chuckled, reaching into the box next to my feet before pulling out a large pumpkin.

   "The leaves change more this month, and it's sweater weather!" She began to say with excitement, and I heard a few girls from a booth cheer her along.

   Getting motivated, she grinned, dramatically throwing her box braids over her shoulder. "Haunted houses, lighting candles, going to a pumpkin patch, and the most obvious one— All Hallows Eve!"

   Her excitement made me smile. "Alright, you sold me. I feel an utter and complete love for October now"

   She scoffed, raising a defensive hand when she read through my sarcasm. "I can't think of one month better than October."

   I shrugged, looking at how I was decorating the table. "July," I admitted lazily, hearing her let out a dry laugh next to me. "August is too hot and June doesn't have steady temperatures."

   When Sophie didn't say anything, I turned back to my right, seeing her gagging. "Try not to throw up okay? I don't wanna clean up right now."

   She stopped and glared at me. "I hate you."