Chapter 27: You Tell Me That I Overthink, Till I Ruin A Good Thing

Writers note: there's a little message at the end explaining where I've been and what's going to be happening with this story in the future- I'm so sorry for being MIA and I promise it won't happen again, but anyway- here's the chapter and I hope you enjoy it :)

"Hello Camila..." I heard a voice say on the other end...

A voice that wasn't my sisters...

"Mom?" I questioned, the shock in my voice incredibly clear...

"Yes Camila... I'm glad you answered..." She responded, as I tried not to drop the phone in astonishment...

"Of course I answered the phone... I thought you were Sofi, I always make sure that I answer her calls..." I trailed off,

"Well then... I'm guessing you have lots of questions for me..." she said timidly,

"Well, I think we should start with the elephant in the room then..." I began, "When were you going to tell me you were back in Miami?"

"I was going to tell you soon... I just didn't want rush into everything, I wanted Sofi to get comfortable, settle in-"

"-But i found out from Sofi... not from you, I was put on the spot and it upset me that you wasn't the bigger person- you should have told me... I deserve to know where my own family is, I might be distant but we're still related... me and Sofi are still incredibly close I-"

"-I know... and I'm sorry Camila but I was thinking of Sofi, we-"

"-Put her first... I know..." I said, my eyes beginning to fill with tears...

"Thats not what I was going to say..." She said, sounding almost ashamed,

"But I know we were all thinking it..."

"Camila..."

"Anyway... I'm out with some friends and i should get back to them so, is there anything else?" I said, almost a little too spiteful,

"Well... Sofi told me about your girlfriend... and me and your dad would like to meet her... and catch up with you... And... Uh..." She began to hesitate...

"What are you trying to say?" I questioned,

"Your father and I would like to go to dinner with you and Lauren..." she said... there was an incredibly long pause- the silence was almost deafening as I tried to think of a reply...

"Mom... I don't understand..."

"We want get to know you better... and we want know what's going on with you... From what Sofi has said, Lauren seems to have become large part of your life, she seems to make you very happy and we want to be a part of it too... And if that means meeting Lauren and accepting you two... as a couple... then we are willing to do that..."

"And you think a dinner can do that?" I pushed, waiting for her response

"No... but it's a start... we never got on because we never understood you, but we've all changed and matured and I'm hoping we can work past our issues to build some sort of relationship... we want to know you Camila, and we want to be able to be proud of you, and celebrate with you- and do all the things with you that normal parents do with their kids... And that starts with meeting the person who you've let into your life and chosen to trust... even if it is a woman..." She finished,

"Are you really serious about this? Because mom I cant keep doing this I-"

"I promise... we want to know you, and Lauren, and the life you two have together... and this is the only thing I could think of that isn't too... intense... I promise we are willing to try and change- we want to accept you for who you are and watch your happiness as it flourishes with the woman you..."