06 ➵ two weeks later

[from: calum 🌸]

i have to go, i'll be back in like 40 minutes! 

Calum saved himself with a flower next to his name and I would never change it. It suited him and his personality, it was cute.

With a heavy sigh I put away my phone and started biting my lip as I stared at the wall. I was nervous because I knew why Calum had to leave. 

"What's wrong, mate?" Ashton asked, eyes still glued to the TV since his favorite show was on and he would die if he would only miss a second of it. At least that's what he once told me.

"Nothing," I simply said.

"Bullshit. As soon as there's an advertisement we'll talk," he said and I rolled my eyes in annoyance.

I didn't want to talk. I didn't need to talk.

I went back to thinking about Calum and hoped that he was okay. I knew that in this very moment he was with a customer and I hated that. I was scared that they would go too rough again, like one of them did two weeks ago. It never left my mind.

"I'm not even looking at you and I can tell that you're nervous. Do you need a cigarette?" Ashton asked out of nowhere and I just nodded, mostly to myself since he didn't see it, and grabbed the pack of cigarettes that was lying on the table.

As soon as I inhaled the smoke I felt a little more relieved. 

Another four minutes passed until Ashton turned to me, ready to talk.

"What's wrong, seriously. And don't say nothing again because I can tell when something's bugging you," he said with a stern look. "And I know it's not because of your sexual frustrations so don't you dare using this as an excuse."

I looked down at the cigarette between my fingers, thinking about what to tell him.

Before speaking up I took another drag and blew out the smoke.

"First you have to promise me to not judge me or the person I will be talking about," I said.

He sighed. "Okay, I will try not to."

"Good. So I have this friend, right? And he has this job. It's not a great one and I'm constantly worried about him getting hurt but I can't do anything about it. I'm so worried to the point where I can't sleep at night and it's the only thing I can think about."

"Care to tell me what kind of job he has?"

"He's a prostitute."

And I could see in his eyes how disgusted he was and honestly, it disgusted me.

I hated his judgmental personality.

"Uh, okay. How did you even meet him?"

"I bumped into him at the store."

"Lie."

And I also hated how he could practically read minds. It was kind of scary how he could figure out everything that was going on with me in under a second.

I sighed and took another drag of my cigarette before telling him how I actually met Calum and again, the judging look in his eyes almost made me punch him.

"And what exactly do you want to do now?" he asked.

"I just want to help him. I want him to get out of this business but I don't know how. He deserves so much better, Ashton. It's not easy to find another job for him since he left school early with a bad report card," I explained.