27; Those Of Demon Blood

Tris laughed once again as Jace failed at the thumb fight that they just played

Tris laughed once again as Jace failed at the thumb fight that they just played. Nick was there with them at the Hunter's Moon, all three of them having drinks served by Tris' now best friend Maia, who was a werewolf. Clary and Simon were at another table, talking. Now that Tris knew Jace's last name, she had grown to like it more than she planned. Expecially because it annoyed him whenever she called him by his last name and not what she usually called him: Jace. He quickly realized that whenever he was around her, he always felt more happier and being next to her was warm and comforting. 

Like now, when their hands were connected to each others, their thumbs hitting the other's and laughter escaping from their lips as Jace kept losing the game, again and again. It was weird to think of them together, but to him, it also made sense. It was like a game—much like a thumb fight—they kept jabbing at the other, but she always triumphed in holding him down. Funnily enough, she always was the one to hold him down when he was angry or upset. Yet their hands were always connected. They had to be connected in order to be able to take care of the other. It brought a smile to his face. 

Tris grinned. "Big bad Shadownhunter, huh?" She scoffed playfully, removing her hand from his. "Can't even win a thumb fight."

Jace stared at her for a second before rolling his eyes. "This game is stupid."

"No, you are," she said, taking a sip of the apple juice she ordered. She enjoyed it, but what she enjoyed more was Maia's reaction to the order. Really, the girl was having apple juice out of a wine glass. "I can't believe it, dude." She held his hand and he took in a sharp breath, only to realize she was putting her thumb next to his. "Your thumb is bigger than mine! Scratch that, your whole hand is! How can you not win?"

"Like real life, Tristen," Nick spoke up, tearing his eyes away from Simon and Clary, who were kissing. "The short and thin ones are usually the quickest."

Tris rolled her eyes and dropped Jace's hand, making him frown. Maia noticed how Nick's eyes stayed on Clary and Simon but when they pressed their lips onto each other's, he diverted his gaze. "It'd be cute if it wasn't so...constant," Maia stated, cleaning a glass before placing it in its spot.

Nick shook his head. "Nope. Not even then."

"Must suck for you," Maia told him.

"Why?"

Maia pulled a face and then chuckled at him, sharing a look with Tris. She turned to Jace. "So, this rumor about you being Shadowhunter royalty, that true?"

Jace shrugged. "I don't know, can you get me free drinks at the Hunter's Moon?"

Maia smiled at him. "Let's not get crazy."

Jace chuckled. "I don't know what I am. I've had three different last names in a summer. Now I'm a Herondale. All I know is I'm the same Jace."

"God help us," Tris sighed jokingly, sipping her apple juice but it dribbled down her chin as Jace pushed her shoulder a little. She glared at him, and as payback, she wiped it off using his sweater that was fitted around his shoulder, earning a hilarious sounding screech from him, that made the entire group except Jace burst into laughter but they had to quiet down as a customer approached.