Chapter 8

When they returned to what Rhoawyn now knew was the Imaginary Outbase, or IOB, she had heard enough of Eli's scolding to last her a lifetime; one she was coming to realize she wouldn't be getting out of any time soon.

"So, what did we learn today?"

"Running away bad. Mindless obedience good." Rhoawyn rolled her eyes.

"Honestly, I thought it would be one of the easier requirements for you to accept."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Merely an observation."

Rhoawyn fixed him with a confused look.

"It's just funny to see someone so insistent on dying for The Apex draw the line at living for them," Eli said, as they arrived at the hospital room.

He gently placed the unconscious child on the bed and pressed a button on the headboard. Rhoawyn assumed it was to alert someone the boy was there, but she didn't dwell on it, because his words were under her skin, on her nerves. Challenging her, but to what she was unsure. So she avoided them altogether.

"What will happen to him now?"

"Well, I'd imagine one of the Techromancers will patch him up, wipe his memory, and send him on his merry little way back to poverty in Site 2." Eli shrugged, making sure to walk behind Rhoawyn when they ventured into the hallway this time around. "Anyway, there's no time to waste thinking about that kid. You burned it all with that failed escape attempt. Now pick up the pace."

Rhoawyn scowled, upset with herself for getting caught. For being afraid to help the boy. For having to be saved by Eli. "I've apologized enough times already," she mumbles under her breath.

Rhoawyn didn't know what to expect when they stepped into the auditorium, but it certainly wasn't the rows of people lining the entire back corner of the room

Rhoawyn didn't know what to expect when they stepped into the auditorium, but it certainly wasn't the rows of people lining the entire back corner of the room. Most were young, perhaps even younger than her, but a few specks of grey illuminated a sea of youth.

She silently followed Eli up to the stadium-esque seats, taking in the low hanging lights that glow neon purple against the pure white of the ceiling. They tracked down the walls in a vibrant glimmer.

When they finally took their seats near the top of the stands, Rhoawyn got a clear view of the stage. It jutted out in a triangular arch toward the front, smoothing into a curve as it disappeared behind a shroud of curtains.

Rhoawyn spotted a woman standing near the center. The podium positioned at her side swallowed most of her height, but her presence loomed over the entire auditorium. She recognized the deep lime of her coat as the same material that used to bring light to the darkness of the only closet in her house. The woman was a Techromancer.

Rhoawyn had never seen one in person that wasn't her dad. Her excitement doubled when she peered over the hike of Eli's boots on the seat and saw a herd of green lab coats entering the room from a door behind the stage. They were towing something behind them, but she couldn't quite make out what it was.