Chapter 27

There was a handful of them now, crowding around Luci in a throng of protection. With closed-lipped smiles and puffed up chests, looking for a fight.

"So it's you then? It's been you this whole time?" Rhoawyn asked, face contorted in disbelief.

"Afraid so." Luci's nonchalant shrug made Rhoawyn's eye twitch.

"And you don't care? You don't care that you've killed hundreds of innocent people?"

"And we would do it again in a heartbeat."

"Y-you're a monster. You're all monsters," Rhoawyn gasped, the heat of rage rising beneath her skin.

"Monsters?" Luci snorted, cracking the knuckle of her middle finger. "Us? And why's that? Because we want to live? Because we want to be a part of this world, just like everyone else. Just like those of you inside that dome?"

"We don't sacrifice the innocent to survive in this world."

"Now come on, Rhoawyn. I've played on both sides. I'd say the only innocents are those who have been used. Your father is the murderer. A torturer, even. He and his ilk killed hundreds of us. Hundreds of you! Men. Women. Children. All because he saw us thriving. Daring to exist outside of the bubble they forced you to live in. They saw our power. And they saw your threat." Luci scoffed.

"They were smart about it, I'll give them that. They thought what they were doing was best." But hear me, Rhoawyn. Just because you think them good. Think them noble. Doesn't make it so."

"But if what you're saying is true, then... then you're just like the Techromancers. Just like The Apex." Rhoawyn reasoned—heart breaking over the truth of Luci's words.

"Well, not quite. My mares and I don't have to dress up our decisions with some skewed morality. We don't have to dehumanize our enemies to make ourselves feel better about killing them. We simply do it. An eye for an eye and all that." Luci shrugged.

Amid Rhoawyn trying to understand the why and the how of what was happening, Flinch noticed the dreamcatcher lying on the floor next to one of the Mare's feet

Amid Rhoawyn trying to understand the why and the how of what was happening, Flinch noticed the dreamcatcher lying on the floor next to one of the Mare's feet. Luci's double-cross was unexpected, but it didn't affect him as deeply as the others. He had no genuine connection to her outside of their singular mission together. And what was more important now, was their need to get the dreamcatcher back in their possession. Rhoawyn seemed to have dropped it out of shock. And it was the only thing that could stop all of this now. If he was to believe anything that the Techromancers had told them up until now, it would be that the dreamcatcher is the only way to truly get rid of the Mares. Because if it weren't true, why would they want it so much?

He slowly lurked his way back into the building, leaving Winfrey's still unconscious side and pretending to act as backup for Rhoawyn and Eli against the group of Mare surrounding Luci. He eyed the dreamcatcher, feeling the faint amount of energy left surging through him. It's enough. I'm sure of it.