Chapter 15

Stepping into the training center today, Rhoawyn did not know how she was going to face her punishment. She did not know how she was going to beat this Mare. She was still unable to manifest—still low on energy.

The Techromancers had given her a few moments to prepare for the fight. They probably thought it was some kind of mercy to give her time to strategize. But it only served to give Rhoawyn more time to think about how soon her life was about to end—for good this time. Eli had come along with her. He didn't really have a choice in the matter, being her captain and all. The Techromancers were forcing him to bear witness to whatever the occurred. When he found out about Rhoawyn's exploration, he didn't seem too surprised. Disappointment tugged at his features, and a twinge of something else—hurt, fear maybe?—settled in his eyes. If Rhoawyn was honest with herself, she knew Eli probably expected her to do something like this. It hadn't been the first time she had made a rash decision he was forced to be a part of. So it didn't shock her that after a night of questioning her and asking why she couldn't just stay put, he seemed like his normal, unbothered self.

Rhoawyn wanted to distract herself with these thoughts of Eli and what he might think of her and her choices. They were easier to digest than what was to come. Seeing the other new Imaginaries practicing didn't help her take her mind off of her demise either.

All manner of particles and power whizzed throughout the air, and the violent clang of weapons clashing made goosebumps rise on her skin.

Everyone is progressing except me. Most every initiate had manifested full objects and energies, but Rhoawyn still couldn't.

As she moved to the arena where she would face her opponent, Rhoawyn spotted Luci. She was in an arena on the far end of the hall—her hair shimmering under the harsh light. Rhoawyn hadn't spoken to her since the assembly. She assumed they were still on bad terms.

She watched as Luci prowled the perimeter of the ring, waiting for her opponent to make their next move. It was a guy—built and brawny—but by the way he staggered around the ring, Rhoawyn could tell it was an unfair matchup. He had manifested his dagger, but his entire body was shaky—unsteady. It was to be expected, they were all new to this whole Imaginary thing. No one should be close to perfect at wielding their powers this early on. No one except Jazara—and apparently, Luci.

Luci was an outlier, a natural. And though Rhoawyn hadn't wanted to be an Imaginary originally, she couldn't shake the jealousy brewing in her gut when she watched Luci strike.

Luci dodged quickly to the left of the boy's dagger. The tip of it caught into the thick slab of wall behind them, disintegrating the sturdy material in a creeping radius around the entry point. The ability shocked Rhoawyn. She wondered what would happen if the dagger had touched Luci.

"Wouldn't a scratch from that thing have the same effect on human skin? If it had made contact with her, couldn't she... die on the spot?" Rhoawyn asked Eli in an attempt at distraction. She had resigned herself to the idea of abandoning the term Departure. Death was more fitting for what was coming for her.

"Nah, little squirrel, she won't die. Just like you didn't when Jazara hit you with that bat. It will take a lot more than one if she has enough flutter dust flowing through her."

"But his dagger is two-sided. A weapon with an extra ability. Wouldn't that strengthen it? Make it enough to do her in?" Rhoawyn asked, and Eli shook his head.

"Wrong again. Hypothetically, it could kill her, but it would have to be a perfect storm type of situation. Luci would have to be low on dust, he would have to have complete control over his manifestation and also have enough dust running through him to kill her..." he trailed off, making sure not looking Rhoawyn in the eye. "None of that is the case though, so at best he could severely injure her with three or four strikes. But he Techs wouldn't let it go that far, anyway. People like Luci are precious cargo."